Topic

Thru Running New York’s Long Path

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Thru Running New York’s Long Path

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Thru Running New York’s Long Path

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have been backpacking (much slower) the Long Path over the last few years in sections. Usually weekends with some multi-day hikes.

I have completed from NYC to the Northern end of the Catskills and plan to finish in August or September.

One great advantage of this trail is that there are many points along the way that can be accessed by public transportation. You might have to walk a couple extra miles, but it's worth it not having to worry about dealing with a car.

There are many sections that pass through or near suburbs that allow for easy resupply and restaurants as well.
    Resupply points get further and further apart as you move North and some hitchhiking may be required to resupply at times.

Like the AT, the terrain is varied and there are a lot of PUDs that can be frustrating, but you really do get to hike some fantastic locations.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Congratulations, whilst working in NYC I spent many weekends wandering along the Long Path, I always dreamt of finishing it but alas it was not to be. I am impressed with your accomplishment and your planning in completing the path in such a short time. What other long trails have you run?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

nm

Kerry Rodgers
    BPL Member

@klrodgers

Locale: North Texas

Very nice, Kenneth. And congratulations on your record finish, getting through the difficulties.
    I love a good trip report.

Anonymous
    Inactive

From article, "There’s plenty of water along the Long Path, but as with almost anywhere, you’ve got to assume it is contaminated. To filter water, I carried a Sawyer Products squeeze filter, which consists of a 32 oz bag you fill in a stream, and then a filter with nozzle which you screw onto the bag and through which you squeeze out the water. I found the bag was easier to fill in a briskly running stream, but otherwise this filter worked well for me, and it weighs only a few ounces."

Doing the above when near major cities is not advisable to say the least. Yeah, you may filter out pathogenic micro organisms, but what about all the chemical and heavy metal pollution..

A carbon filter, or something else besides sawyer squeeze, is necessary for that.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Re: "doing the above when near major cities is not advisable to say the least."

This is an issue with a lot of trails, but not so much with the Long Path.

The Long Path runs mostly in rugged mountainous terrain at elevations well above industry and agriculture. The water sources are either on gaps or sides of mountains with no residential or commercial runoff.

When you are at lower elevations the water will come from community water sources, so no need to collect water from low elevation runoff.
    The community water in the area comes from aquifers in the nearby mountains.

Kenneth Posner
    BPL Member

@posnerk

The Long Path was the first long trail I've run. There's another trail in the Hudson Valley called the Shawangunk Ridge Trail, which runs from High Point State Park in New Jersey about 70 miles to Rosendale NYC. It's about 50% the same as the Long Path. It's a great shorter option.

Some day I'd like to take a shot at the John Muir Trail.

Kenneth Posner
    BPL Member

@posnerk

Hi Ken
    Now that I'm logged in, glad to answer any questions.
    Ken

Kenneth Posner
    BPL Member

@posnerk

I agree with Steven. The Long Path leaves the city behind pretty quickly and you're soon in complete wilderness. By the way, water from the Catskills flows through aqueducts into NYC's reservoirs and becomes our drinking water.

Slugsworth .

@slugsworth

Maybe I'm just a little dense, but are there basically two southern terminuses of the trail, the GWB and the shawagunk ridge trail?

I grew up in the Catskills and my first long hike was a 70 mile section of the lp. I always thought it would be cool to finish up rest of the Catskills.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

As far as I know there was always only one southern terminus and that was at the GWB.

Many sections have changed over the years and there are often alternate routes while private property and other issues get resolved.

I know I did one very long road walk that has since been rerouted over trails and old carriage roads.
    I will probably go back and do that section.

The plan was always to some day reach the top of NY State through the Adirondacks and it looks like they may be almost at that point.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

that's my old stomping grounds, I grew up in Mahwah NJ.
    Lots of iron in the rock near Torne Mountain, great trees and lakes everywhere.

David Graves
    BPL Member

@4haiku

Why do you think it would be a good idea to take/wear "taller hiking socks?"

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools