Topic

East Coast Igloo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking East Coast Igloo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I live in Pennsylvania and yesterday we received around eight inches of very wet (i.e. packable) snow. I took my 7-year old twins outside to build an igloo. We did it only for fun (my wife won't let us sleep in it, nor is it big enough) but I've read enough igloo threads on BPL that I wanted to give it a shot myself…

Igloo base

Three-quarters done...

Just before the final blocks closed it in

I actually built it with one of my daughters inside to help hold the first couple of blocks in each level. She was having fun but got a little nervous after I closed her in and then took a few minutes before cutting a door for her. It took us exactly two hours to build the core structure – we then spent about an hour doing a "fancy" entrance tunnel.

When it was all done the girls enjoyed some hot chocolate inside their new shelter…

Hot chocolate inside on a cold day

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

what did you use as a form for the blocks?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"what did you use as a form for the blocks?"

My bet is the plastic container the kids are leaning against in the last photo.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

It was indeed their "table" that you see in the photo of them enjoying the hot chocolate. It was a plastic box about 15" x 9" x 7" and it really worked well.

We had so much fun I'm thinking about getting an Icebox Igloo Maker – especially if we continue to get as much snow in PA as we've had this year.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools