Topic

Werner Shuna No Longer Offered in 4-Piece

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Werner Shuna No Longer Offered in 4-Piece

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Troy Smith
    BPL Member

@406_t-roy

Locale: Northern Rockies

I am in the market for my first packraft paddle and called NRS yesterday to order a 4-piece Shuna. He said he would call Werner and special order it. He called back today and said that Werner only offers the Powerhouse, Sherpa, Player, Sidekick and Twist in a 4-piece. The Shuna is not offered in a 4-piece and they will not custom make one. He also said that they offered no touring paddles in a 4-piece.

Does anyone know of a location to get the 4-piece? Anyone got an extra for sale?

Also, what would the BPL community recommend in place of the Shuna now that Werner has apparently stopped producing it?

I intend to use the paddle mostly in class I-III with a good bit of high alpine lake floating. I was looking for an all around paddle but am now considering going more whitewater worthy and getting the Powerhouse or Sherpa. Any thoughts?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'd start off by confirming this news. It's possible the guy you talked to spoke with the wrong person or something went awry. I'd shoot Werner Customer Service an email: [email protected]

Beyond that I can't be of much help. My expertise at paddles doesn't extend beyond being happy with my Shuna.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Troy,

Contact Werner Customer Service as the next step.

Werner won't sell you any paddle directly; you have to order it from one of their dealers. Unfortunately, most of their dealers aren't aware what type of 4-piece paddles the factory will custom build. So, get the part number from Werner CS and then give that information to your dealer so they can order you the paddle. It typically only takes 5 business days for Werner to make up a custom paddle.

The last time I ordered a custom 4-piece Werner paddle was 5/7/13. On that date, Shanna in CS said, "1 1/2 months ago we started offering longer 4-piece WW paddle lengths do to the large number of requests from packrafters. She said the company was aware that most packrafters were previously using Werner touring paddles in order to find the longer lengths optimal for a pack raft. She also said that although the touring blades normally hold-up, in class III and above, touring shafts are liable to break.

Troy Smith
    BPL Member

@406_t-roy

Locale: Northern Rockies

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Contacted Werner today, they do still make 4-piece Shunas. They advised me to have NRS ask to speak to Roxanne when they call Werner. Everything was taken care of and the paddle is on order!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Good news! Those new patterned blades on the Shuna are pretty nice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools