Topic

Snow Peak 600 uses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Snow Peak 600 uses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kirk Morphew
    BPL Member

@kmorphew

I’m new the group so please forgive me if I have missed something in the archives (I have searched) but I noticed the “pot of choice” seems to be the snow peak 600 for many people. Are you all using it for boiling water only or do some fix a “Lipton” in it. It would seem too small for cooking in. And if you are only using the SP 600 to boil water in then what are you eating out of?

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I have a Snow Peak 700 (4.5oz w/lid); it has sturdy handles and it doesn’t dent. But those handles get really hot when used with an alcohol stove, so I end up carrying a bandana or pot grabber anyway.

However, I switched to an aluminum Walmart Grease Pot ($5, 4.3oz w/lid) because it has a wider bottom and holds a full liter, which is generally how much water I need for dinner. You can save some weight by making a lighter lid out of heavy aluminum foil.

I generally just boil water for dehydrated food, cocoa, etc., which I mix up in my Ti sierra cup if I need to eat it out of something. I don’t tend to go on really long trips, so I don’t get bored with the dehydrated food choices.

Kirk Morphew
    BPL Member

@kmorphew

Thanks for your reply. I currently use the MSR Titan Titanium Kettle with a foil lid and am happy with it for the most part. It allows me enough volume to cook whatever. What got me interested in the SP 600 is more a pack-ability issue… and of course saving an ounce! The MSR Kettle won’t easily fit into my Golite Dawn side pocket (which is where I would like for it to live). I just wondered what people did with such a small volume pot as the SP 600. It seems too small to be useful for anything but to boil water. If I’m missing something I wanted to be informed. Thanks again.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

That’s all I do with my Ti600. Put a foil lid on it (us a small stone/stick to hold it in place) and boil 8-16oz of water with my Ion (1st generation) stove. Then, pour it into my meal pouch (re-packaged noodles, Liptons, or Enertia meals [www.trailfoods.com]). Put the filled pouch back into the cup and cover with my bandanna. Wait 10 minutes, and then eat. Though often after 10 minutes the food is still too hot. YMMV.

I think their is a picture of Ryan eating noodles out of his cup. So, you might be able to make a small hot meal in the cup and suplement with other dry foods.

The real problem with using a small cup is finding a stove whose flame pattern is such that they actually come in contact with the bottom of the cup rather than up the sides. A top ported V8 juice can sized (side ported stoves’ flame pattern is still too wide) stove is probably your only option other than Esbit.

BTW, I removed the handles, as the cup is small enough you can easily grab it with you gloved (Possum Down) hand or bandanna. I also found that the welding “dots” on the inside of the cup are at 8oz, 12oz and 16oz respectively which makes in-field measuring quite easy.

My “other” pot is the MSR Ti Kettle, but I had a 20% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket, so I bought the Snow Peak. No regrets yet.

Kirk Morphew
    BPL Member

@kmorphew

Thanks. That is exactly what I needed to know. Also, your “dot” solution sounds a bit more elegant than mine. I take a flathead screwdriver and “ding” my pot at the 8, 12 and 16 oz points. What do you use for your dots? As far as the type of stove, I use esbit fuel exclusively so I’m good for the go. Thanks again!

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

The dots I’m referring to are the ones that are created when they weld the handle to the cup body. You can see them on the insdie of the cup as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools