Topic

Looking for a cheap, good scale.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a cheap, good scale.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rich y
    Spectator

@gkine

Locale: NorCal

What do you guys use? Something cheap.

Timothy Epp

@rush2112

Locale: Southwest British Columbia

I got a cheap gram/ ounce scale from Walmart for around 15 bucks.

Mark Heiser

@74kilos

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Picked mine up off Amazon, but my one regret is that it doesn't have a raised platform. Makes it hard to weight larger items without having to put it in a bowl or something and then tare the scale.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

This is what I use. Found it at Costco for $19.99. Has worked great for my needs:

http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-KSC-350-95/dp/B002VNWJ4E

HTH

KJ

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

eBay. Get something cheap shipping from China. You can easily spend under $10 (with shipping). Search for something like "5kg scale" or whatever you desire.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

really depends on what you want to weigh.

I have two.

A little one that weighs 0-500g

And a bigger kitchen one that weighs up to 11 lbs

99% of my weighing is on the little one. Weigh your big stuff once a the Post Office, and you seldom need that capability again.

The little scales can get messed up and need calibrating. You can order a 100g standard weight for this for ~8. The calibration is linear, so if your 100g wt weighs 102.5 g, its off by 2.5%. Some scales take 200 or 500 g calibration wt. All you need to do is calculate though off the 100g wt. If you need 500g, weigh out a cup of water that weighs 410 g (4×102.5)and use it in addition to your 100g wt, and then calibrate the scale. Recheck your 100g wt and it should be on the money.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Grab a "digital pocket scale" from eBay for $6-$7 shipped. You can get ones that read up to 2000g, yet measure to 0.1g.

On eBay search for "digital pocket scale 2000g" and then sort the results by price. I've got access to very high quality scales at the science lab I work at, and these eBay cheapo's are within 1%.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-2000g-0-1g-2kg-Mini-Digital-Electronic-Balance-Weight-Pocket-Jewelry-Scale-/261329716742?pt=US_Pocket_Digital_Scales&hash=item3cd8770606

If you need to weigh something bulky, either tare a coat hanger on the scale, or tare a whiskey glass and then set your tent/sleeping bag/whatever on top.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools