Topic

MYOG Pertex GL 900 down sleeping bag/quilt/blanket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Pertex GL 900 down sleeping bag/quilt/blanket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Pertex GL quilt with a 3/4 zipper and drawcord footbox, the hole in the bottom can be "plugged" in quilt or sleeping bag mode. The separating zipper allows the quilt to open up into blanket mode. I still need to put some mods on it. Baffles made with .7 oz/sqyd Ultralight Insect Netting, they were about 2".

Length 75"
    Width 56" at top
    Weight 17.65oz
    Fill 11oz 900 fill down
    Loft 3-3.5"

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That's done really really nice work! GL is some nice, shiny fabric! My Xenon jacket uses the same color Pertex GL!

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nice looking quilt. Congrats!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Awesome! That's the prefect 3 season quilt. I love it.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Very nice Kaleb… When are you gonna start taking orders?! ;)

I'll take mine 6-8" longer…

TIA
    -Mark in St. Louis

Steven Diogenes
    Spectator

@stevenn

Nice! You beat Zpacks weight. Their ~70in 56in with 9.9oz fill is 16.4oz. Add two oz fill to equal your 11oz and it's 18.4 at 70 inch length. You also have a full zipper and draw cord and didn't use cuben baffles. How'd you beat it with the same materials?

I calculated 70" for their X-long because they say it wraps around the neck of someone who is 6'5". 7in for the head so 77-7 = 70in.

What did the materials cost?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pretty nice, looks great.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Thanks for the kind words. It took me a long time to make and about $200
    I forgot to mention that the inside is not Pertex GL, it's from ti goat, old 7D which is lighter, and my zipper is the same length as zpacks, just on the bottom 3/4. My goal was to make a knock off ZP sleeping bag without a closed foot box. I planned on using less down but added more to make the loft amazing like a Katabatic quilt.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Old Ti goat 7D

AKA Nobul1 ?

I have a down sleeping bag with Nobul1 lining and it leaks a little down. Maybe it leaked more earlier and less now. Probably good enough but next time I'll use something different

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

I had this saved for a few years, either 7D or nobul 1? Material does not leak down plumes, only feathers, so quality of down is essential.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

7d was from before Nobul1. Its a nice fabric much more downproof, ripstop grid, lower weight. But the last batch I had didn't breath for crap.

-Tim

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"Material does not leak down plumes, only feathers, so quality of down is essential."

I used 850 FP down, I think it was from Wildernesslogics

Maybe it leaked more initially because they were feathers, but now most of the feathers next to the fabric are gone so it leaks less.

That must mean you need more down-proof fabric for lower fill power down.

M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

this looks awesome! wish i had your skills :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools