Topic

One Gram Pot Knob

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear One Gram Pot Knob

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wanted a knob for a MYOG pot lid and cooked up this one gram goodie from odds and ends.

I cut the end off a can using a safety style can opener, eyeballed the center and drilled a hole suitable for a pop rivet. Pop rivets have a center that looks like I nail and I pulled that center piece out, leaving a plain aluminum rivet. I cut that to length by simply nipping the end off with a pair of lineman's pliers. I slipped the rivet through the hole in the lid and secured it by sliding a section of silicone air line tubing on other side. You can make the knob any length you want. Leaving it a bit longer lets it fold over and plenty to grip. Weight is one gram :)

The lid with center hole and the evolution of the rivet: pop rivet with center, full length rivet, rivet trimmed to length and air line tubing.
    Knob

Rivet in place from the bottom:Knob

Finished knob from the chef's side :)Knob

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I used about 3/4" of silicon string instead of all of these rivets and things. I couldn't even get a weight on it, so it was milligrams.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I like the control given with a real knob. You can tip it and even shake it to get the condensed water off, etc. It's just one rivet and a bit of hose.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

You can make a decent knob from a screw and a bent piece of wire, and even better if you can scavenge the knob from a broken canister stove.
    Coleman pot with lid

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I like it Dale.

No chance of burning fingers on that knob.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Dale,

Where do you buy the silicone tubing?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

It's aquarium air line. It burns easily and not so good for pot handles. On the lid, I think any plastic tubing would do. Automobile vacuum hose, clear vinyl, etc.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Very nice Dale. Next time use an appropriate length rivet, insert into hand held tool, place rivet through hole, place length of tight fitting tubing over end of rivet and then squeeze to "pop" rivet into tubing making it expand to almost guarantee the tubing will stay put.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I was working with what was in the parts drawer. I started by trying to seat the rivet, but of course it was too long. That also requires a tool, which some may not have The tubing grips very well as it is. A sheet metal screw would accomplish the same thing and probably grip the tubing better yet. You are only lifting a can lid!

Timothy Epp

@rush2112

Locale: Southwest British Columbia

I believe Home Depot sells aluminum screws in their specialty screw section. Could be another good lightweight option as a lid handle.

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

I used the top half of a step-down golf tee, screwed through the bottom of the lid with a tiny brass screw. May weigh more than a gram but it's solid.

Pot stove & screen

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Clever! I was thinking that miniature chess peices would be cool.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I just used a piece of foil tape. gotta be around 1g. it flattens nicely too for storage

pot in cone1

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I just used a piece of foil tape.
    +1

gotta be around 1g.
    Not that much. I just weighed 60 sq inches off my roll … 5 grams. Hard to know exact dimensions from Jason's photo but I'm guessimating 4 sq inches at most. That'd be 1/3 gram (333 milligrams) … we're blowing past gram weenie status and are solidly into milligram weenie territory here.

it flattens nicely too for storage
    +1 that also

It also makes a functional side handle on a Heineken or Fosters can if you have also added a bale to the can (made from a bike spoke).

Also, since we're being milligram weenies, use a paper hole puncher to lighten it even more.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Does the foil tape survive boiling water under lid, multiple days?

That's pretty good – milligram wienie

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Does the foil tape survive boiling water under lid, multiple days?

Yes, assuming you don't intend to mean 30 days of continuous boiling;-) One I placed on a Fosters can (lid and side) for a friend is still attached and intact after about 30 days use, two boils per day.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

> we're blowing past gram weenie status and are solidly into milligram weenie territory here.

Too funny Jim!! LOL. Yes, by all means we need to perforate the tape to lighten it further.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"That's pretty good – milligram wienie"

That would be a milliweanie, not to be confused with the number of participants in a large UL GGG :)

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

all in good sport, but i see the tape on the lid, and in the same view i see the ridiculous handles.
    omfg you gott's be kidding me.

you got to have a spoon anyway . right ?
    so gentlemen, just do it like this, and never look back.pot spoon thing

i must have tossed this idea out there half a dozen times. it's getting sort of recreational by now.

luv ya !
    v.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Hey Peter Vaco, I'll take 10 dozen of those receiver brackets. Make them out of .005 titanium.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

For those of you with experience using a the aluminum foil tape "knobs," does the foil get really hot?

Also, has anyone attached a modified wine cork to a lid to function as a knob? Cork is a great insulator and doesn't burn as easily as wood… Just a thought, but I'm not sure if anyone has done it.

I've got a 2qt non-stick open country pot that I want to put a knob handle on. I've screwed a finished wooden knob on my non-stick version of the pot, but would like to try and make a knob where I don't have to put a hole in the lid to attach it. Any ideas? Would JB Weld work as an adhesive?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Whenever I have a cook pot with a big knob, I take off the knob. That typically leaves a screw head on the inside that extends to the outside to hit nothing. So, I take a big glob of JB Weld and form it over the tip of the screw. That makes a substitute knob that doesn't transfer much heat, but it is awfully strong.

–B.G.–

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

nice pot/bowl stuart, what pot and lid is that? ml volume?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools