Topic

merino underwear stretching out.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) merino underwear stretching out.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I have some minus 33 merino wool underwear. After wearing them they quickly start to stretch out and loose their tight fit. I need that tight fit for chaffing issues. If I get them wet and throw them in the dryer they will shrink back to their original size.

Is this an issue with all merino wool underwear? I don't want to go back to synthetics but the tight fit is important.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I can't speak to the Minus 33 stuff, bit the dryer isn't an issue for Smartwool or Icebreaker boxers and t's. At least not the ones I have. I really prefer merino over synthetic for almost everything, though I do now air dry all my t-shirts, boxers go in the dryer and I wear them daily.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

The dryer is actually not an issue.
    After a day of use the boxers stretch and out and are not tight fitting.
    If I wash them and throw them in the dryer they shrink back the original tightness and fit perfectly.
    But I don't have a dryer in the backcountry…

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Sorry Justin, I read your question wrong, I need to slow down a tad. Smartwool and IB boxer-briefs are still good fitting for me after 5 days out. They do stretch a tad, but definitely not what it sounds like you're describing.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

They fit like slim fitting running shorts (not tight at all) after a day of hiking… very dissapointing.

I'll look into the sw and ib boxers, thanks!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"After wearing them they quickly start to stretch out and loose their tight fit."

Dude, there aren't that many women reading these forums. Nice try though…..

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Ive got some sugoi and bankbreaker i wear for social situations

I find they stretch somewhat …. Hopefully not from my ginourmous belly !!!

Synthetics and blends are more predictable IMO in their durability

;)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Synthetics and blends are more predictable IMO in their durability"

My favorites continue to be the Ex Officio boxers. Breathe well, retain their shape well.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

It doesn't hurt to try Doug.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

My main reason for switching from synthetics was the odor issue. Also with wool underwear my crotch area doesn't feel all sticky and nasty like with synthetics… a but TMI I know. I would normally carry an extra pair of synthetic underwear for sleeping in.

Maybe I will try some cotton briefs. I've worn cotton underwear hiking in the past and it wasn't an issue because I'm not a super sweaty dude. Wouldn't want to wear them in cold/wet but for warm/dry weather they might be a good compromise.

What are y'all experiences with anti-odor treated synthetics?

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

i had that issue with some early icebreaker leggings, from memory just the standard 200 series. i then switched to the icebreaker gt stuff, which i think has a little 3% spandex in it… seems heaps better. i now just use the orig stuff as base layer for around home, going down town when its cold or if im going to watch my nephew play rugby on a cold winters day. i guess their short boxer style stuff should be the same.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

The 2014 cap1 has polygiene which is supposedly permanent … The folks at prolite have reported good results

Im waiting for MEC to switch over to polygiene for their T series

The T3s are already so treated

Spandex and elastane wear out which is why MEC has moved away from it for some of their layers

;)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

My patagonia merino shirts stretches quite a lot even though I think there's some synthetic in it. It fits nice for a day or so and then stretches to be loose and baggy. A wash/dry brings it back, but that poor day 2-5 fit is the reason why it's not coming on my thru hike this summer.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I've had the same problem, Justin. I use the Underarmour compression shorts, as no wool underwear has worked yet.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i bought a pair of icebreaker boxer briefs a number of years ago for all the reasons i love merino socks. i have worn them maybe twice. after a matter of minutes of walking (or the first time i take a steep step uphill) the legs ride up to the point of becoming briefs. at this time i'm stuck with 2 inches of fabric rolled up into a tube around each leg. talk about uncomfortable. i was very, very disappointed, especially given the price tag…

back to under armour permanently, which stays where it is supposed to be…

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

bummer…. guess it's back to synthetics and cotton for me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools