Topic

new SMD packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) new SMD packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

SMD facebook page says they will have their new packs at the GGG.
    Hope someone takes some pics and notes to bring back and post.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I second that. I've been waiting to see what Brian and Ron working together would create. I've been actually been thinking of getting another pack so I'm hoping it will fit my needs.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I'll take lots of pics and post them

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

There tomorrow a.m. Will be sure to photo. Hope you like iOS pics.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Can't wait to see them. Whoever takes pictures is going to have a lot of questions fired their way.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Yes please share!!!! We need some good reporting from those of you lucky enough to be at the GGG……….

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Anyone? I

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Didn't anyone bring their smartphone to the GGG?! Mobile pics!!! We need them!!!

Pretty stoked to see what a year and a half of design collaboration yields.

Yohei Aoyagi
    BPL Member

@zzz_bear

Locale: Tokyo

They will release details of new products in this week at their website and FB page.

Anthony Viera
    BPL Member

@joydivisi0n

Locale: Orange County

That's true enough, but people like myself are anxious to get a sneak peak from GGG, where SMD is showing off their new line in advance of the website reveal.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

These packs are going to be a huge step up for SMD. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

While exciting, they have some lofty expectations to live up to! Was in the market for a pack in the next week or two, will have to hold off to see what SMD has come up with.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Ron from Six Moon Designs did a great job showing off the new packs and explaining their features. He revealed two new series of adjustable packs:

1) The Fusion Series, fully-framed packs in size 50L and 60L, which have a single aluminum stay down the center of a stiff, supportive foam/plastic backpad. Shove it pocket on back. I was able to get a great fit with the 60L size. Though I didn't try on the 50L, they use the same frame/harness/adjustment system. T. Could comfortably handle loads of 35 lbs or more. The Fusion packs were prototypes so Ron asked us not to publish photos of them yet.

2) A lighter pack with a hoop stay in size 30L and 40L, for hiking or trail running with lighter loads. This pack is still incredibly supportive with a unique double chest buckle and wide shoulder straps. Highly durable stretchy mesh side pockets. I was able to get a great fit and I think this pack could comfortably handle 25 lbs or possibly more.

Both packs are designed to pull the pack away from your back at the edges near your spine, leaving less of the surface of your back to get hot against the back pad. It works.

I'll be posting photos of the lighter packs, which Ron said was OK.

Brian and Ron did a fantastic job with these packs. Hard to believe they're just the first gen packs of their series.

photo IMG_1751_zps409e76cd.jpg

photo IMG_1807_zpsd86f08ce.jpg

photo IMG_1808_zps85d57e50.jpg

photo IMG_1809_zpse1383098.jpg

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Sorry guys, I forgot to get pics of the packs, but here is a picture of the presentation just to tease you. Ron with his black van.

a

Mark Heiser

@74kilos

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I've tried to visit their website, http://www.sixmoondesigns.com on several occasions over the past few months on both chrome and IE, but to no avail. Has anyone else had these issues?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I can get on there fine with firefox. Try clearing your cache and cookies.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

Mark, works every time for me on chrome.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

What's the material?!

Peter G

@buddyj

Locale: Western Oklahoma

I'd love to hear more about the Fusion series! Since you can't post photos, could you at least say what packs on the market the design is most-similar to?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Just edited my post above to add photos of the lightweight SMD packs, 30L and 40L. You can also see one of them on Mark's back, back view and side view. In the side view you can really see how the pack pulls fabric away from your back for ventilation.

When I was on the E. Coast and far from any BPL gatherings, I really appreciated folks from the GGG posting pics and news of new gear. I'll be putting up a lot more of people, shelters and gear we tried on the main thread.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I'd love it if this pack was suitable for running but I'm not holding my breath, since thats a hard thing to pull off. Wide (on the chest) ergonomic shoulder straps are a plus. The two lower attachement points look similar to my MH fluid running pack, also a good thing. Having a waist belt anchored in the center of the pack with some ability to swivel & move with you seems key to me. Eager to learn more. As much as the word 'fastpacking' gets thrown around, there are very few purpose built multi-day running packs.

The compression system & pockets look good. I'm interested to see how the narrow suspension works out. I've used the MLD burn quite a bit & the narrow profile certainly frees up the shoulders and arms, increasing mobility.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Very nice what is the weight on them? I'm also interested in the hipbelt where does it attach? Poor hipbelts have been the downfall of otherwise great packs.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Pretty sure the 30 was around 1.6 pounds and the 40 was just under 2.

The 2 main packs were starting at 2.25 pounds.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Glad to hear how light they are. I'm set with packs at the moment but I always love seeing new ideas and who knows, maybe I'll trade an old one in at some point. That hipbelt looks pretty comfy from what I can see. I'll be interested to see what people think of the extra strap.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Hmmm! This is interesting. It's similar to a design I've been considering for a while, but–from what I can see–far more refined. I'm excited to see what SMD posts on their site with more accurate, detailed information. I really don't need a new pack, but I am open to persuasion (unfortunately).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools