Topic

SummitStash – Discovery box for hikers, bikers, backpackers and lovers of the outdoors (New service)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals SummitStash – Discovery box for hikers, bikers, backpackers and lovers of the outdoors (New service)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brad Hagedorn

@summitstash

Locale: Denver

Want to have the latest outdoor products delivered right to your doorstep?

We wanted to give Backpacking Light community members the chance to pre-register for SummitStash, an awesome new subscription/discovery box currently in development. SummitStash is a monthly subscription that sends a box to your door chock-full of products tailored to hikers, bikers, backpackers and everyone who loves to spend time in the outdoors. We’re a team of gear and nutrition-obsessed outdoor athletes who want to make the process of discovering the latest and greatest products easy for everyone.

By registering now, you’ll receive an invitation to join our private beta launch. Invitations will be given on a first-come, first-served basis, so sign up now: http://www.signup.summitstash.com

We’d also love to hear your thoughts. Any types of products that you’d love to see included? Brands that you’ve discovered that others should know about? Let us know!

And we’d love if you liked our Facebook page and shared with friends: http://www.facebook.com/SummitStash

The SummitStash Team

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SummitStash

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

This is free? Or, money involved?

–B.G.–

Brad Hagedorn

@summitstash

Locale: Denver

B.G, thanks for your question!

To sign up for an invitation to our launch is free. But if you choose to subscribe when we launch, it will be a paid service (absolutely no obligation by registering now). Our price isn't set yet, but we're targeting something around $15-30/month. Enough so that it will include a great selection of products, but still be affordable. And it will be cancelable at any time.

Hope that helps.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

So, let me get this straight.

You expect us to pay $15-$30 per month for a grab bag, and we really have no idea what we will get.

NO THANKS !

That sounds like a great scam business.

–B.G.–

Mike Young
    BPL Member

@klackamas

Locale: [email protected]

And this is your first post? Is this the only reason you are here?

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

For anyone that thinks this totally comes out of nowhere, it sure doesn't. This business model has been around for a while already in more women-centric industries with handmade goods, cosmetics, and so forth. Here's an example:
    http://umba.myshopify.com/pages/box

GRANTED this is probably not at all the way that the average BPL member 'discovers' worthwhile gear items. But, I was just saying, in quiet defense of the OP, that it's not like this concept comes directly from another planet.

Again, this will probably be irrelevant for most of us, who would prefer to read reviews and understand the design and performance of a product before we pay for it :-)

EDIT:
    The business model really applies better to people that just want to get "fresh" new interesting little gear and doodads. For them, SummitStash would be great. E.g. the average customer at REI, like many of my outdoorsy friends that I've taken backpacking … they will probably eat this up. Whether acquiring more stuff on a monthly basis will be to their benefit, that is another question entirely :-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

And just what is the special DEAL for BPL members that the general public does not get?

Hum ………

Cheers

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Doesn't belong in Gear Deals, when no deal is offered. A chance to be on a beta whatever by signing up is not a deal.

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

This dude definitely doesn't care about our opinion, you know – he just wanted to market his site.

I agree that this business model is around for people who don't really care about quality, but enjoy the superficial "curation" or cool aspect. The people here, on the other hand, demand quality and often from places that produce small batch, handmade products.

So yes, this is basically spam.

Mike Young
    BPL Member

@klackamas

Locale: [email protected]

I'm always skeptical about grab bags that you have to pay for. The BPL Gear swap hiker box going around sounds like a good idea. All you pay is shipping and the folks here are very generous with their items. So I suspect there are some quality trades going on.

This on the other hand smells suspicious. I'm betting the items received will be things that did not sell well or is geared toward another market. Things like snack bars they clearanced out to 99 cent stores, those compressed towels or plastic spatulas. I highly doubt there will be any cutting edge innovative quality items shipped out.

I might give it a try if they were offering some type of deal like a trial box to give a hint of the type of items we can expect. But I don't see any deal here.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great idea! I try to hit an In-and-Out whenever I travel and find myself near one.
    Double-doubles

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

apparently the $5 "spam prevention" isn't enough for a properly motivated spammer..

seems to have been a few of these the last few weeks…

Ryan Rourke

@ryanjrourke

Thanks OP I will certainly check it out. For what it's worth to the trolling BPLer's, the "Discovery Commerce Platform" has become very popular the last few years. My girlfriend uses one called BirchBox and loves it. It's a great way to try things you didn't know existed or never would have thought to try. It's also great for both small and large manufactures to increase their reach to a very specific consumer base at negative cost. Also it provides them a great target market for testing out new products and get sales revenue before they go into full production. Of course the content of the "box" has to have a value worth the cost of the service..but I'm sure op already knows this as it is the basis of a subscription style business plan.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I am still waiting to hear what the DEAL is for BPL readers.
    Without this info, the original posting violates our T&C.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

just another stop on his spam-athon.

http://mountainproject.com/v/summitstash—discovery-box-for-climbers-hikers-bikers-and-lovers-of-the-outdoors-new-service/108616708#a_108617221

so they don't even have it set up yet… but they'll sure ask for your $$

"we’re in a pretty early stage of developing this service, thus the thin information for now. Right now we’re having conversations like these with potential customers and suppliers to get us pointed in the right direction. As for the value of the box, we’re aiming to have the retail value of the products included be much higher than the cost of the box. A lot companies are willing to give heavy discounts for the promotional value mentioned above, which we would then pass on to our customers."

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools