Topic

Winter Boots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter Boots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

The Keen Winterports that have served me well for the past few years are beginning to show signs of age. This model has been discontinued and the replacement,, the summit county, is heavier. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the lightest winter boots that they use for winter excursions

Thanks
    Kevin (Paddy)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Check (in this order):

1. CABELA'S

2. GANDER MOUNTAIN

3. BASS PRO SHOP

4. REI

Lots of selections. For overnignt camping get boots with a removable liner so it can be warmed in your bag overnight. Cold toes in the morning hurt!

ALSO get a pair of thin neoprene diver's socks and seam seal them. Wear over a pair of thin poly liner socks. They are WARM ans you'll never wet-out your boot liner.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

get a pair of thin neoprene diver's socks and seam seal them.

Eric, "thin"? I'm not familiar with a diver's world. I'm seeing 2mm socks … thin enough?

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I wore those same Keens for a winter and a half, loved them but like every other pair of Keens I've owned, they wore out very quickly. It's to bad too, I absolutely love the fit of their shoes but I rarely get more then a season out of a pair.

I've been wearing a pair of Vasque Snow Junkies for the last few weeks, and so far they're very decent. They want to lace up super tight with no effort, but so long as I keep the laces on the loose side they're pretty plush, with the capability to be very supportive if need be. Warm enough for high excursion, so far are waterproof, lightweight for a winter boot, and should last me longer then my Keens did.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Thanks Eric as I just ordered some Keen 200-Gram Mid Incline Pac Boots from Cabellas for 70$

:-)

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

I will look into those boots. As far as the goretex socks recommendation is ncerned, I have found that far better vapor barrier socks are (cannot find any longer) the Climb High or Integral Designs versions. RBH used to offer the thin vapor barrier liner but now only makes the combined vb and insulated variety and Stephensons has their vp socks and glove liners. I like the turkey bag idea, when I have gone the plastic bag route I have raided buildings that have plastic bags for umbrellas

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

I second that thanks for the Cabelas reference. $70 for the Keen Mid Incline is awesome, especially if that weight of 1.6 lbs for the pair is true!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Kevin,

Code 4work gets you free shipping.
    I ordered a pair if 13&14 and will return one or both to my local store.

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Campsaver has these babies in limited sizes on sale for $85 or so

Joshua Abel
    BPL Member

@aberrix

Steger Mukluks

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Jim,

I've been using the 0.5 mm NRS HydroSkin Wetsocks:

http://www.nrs.com/product/2342/nrs-hydroskin-wetsocks

I'm not sure yet if these work as well as a purely waterproof sock, but they seem to be somewhat functional, comfortable, and increase warmth. I haven't seam sealed mine yet though. I definitely like the feel of them better than sliding around in an oven bag.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

thx Andy.

While I (maybe) have your attention … those event gaiters you were using, still working well? I forget the brand, pls refresh my memory.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Jim,

The gaiters are Rab Hispar:
    http://us.rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/gaiters/hispar-gaiter.html

I haven't had the opportunity to use them much lately, but I'm still happy with them.

Warner B

@wlb

The first time I bought a pair of these it was because I couldn't find anything else in a 4E. Then I found out that they dont slip on wet rocks in creek crossings or exposed boulders in a thunder storm. Best grip of any boot I have ever owned. With 200 grams of thinsulate I have yet to feel the cold in deep snow and the flex in the sole keeps them from clogging thus the microspikes have stayed in the pack unless solid ice. I now own 3 pair and wear them all day everyday (personal trainer) and they breath well enough they have never felt clammy.
    They are pretty much waterproof but I sprayed them with waterproofer just to be sure. I have been at several camps after wet hikes with boots lined around the fire to dry and mine still cozy on my feet. Several times I have wondered how these aren't more popular and better known.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=MO1099GR

I do wear Neos overboots when it gets down to single digits or below and the combo is very comfortable and easy to put miles on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools