Topic

Memory Card Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Memory Card Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

I am wanting to get either one 4G memory card for my camera or 2 2G cards.
    It ain't much of a drama at all but there are a few minor fors and againsts with either choice.
    Just one card and be done with it (no second card to lose for example)
    or two cards so if one gets lost or crashes I have another.

Hmmm . . .

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Just depends on your camera and needs. I have a 8megapixel point and shoot and a 2GB card for it. That's 583 photos at the highest quality. Not sure how many photos you want to take before dumping but that's a LOT.

On my 6.3 mpx Digital Rebel SLR it's more like 800 shots or like 500 in RAW.

Either way, you surely have a newer camera so get a fast card. I have a Transcend 150x 2GB card for my Canon ELPH and it's way fast- no slowness when taking shots in quick succession. Transcend is one of those brands that no one knows about but it kicks butt over all of the Sandisk cards at a lower price point. Check it out.

If I were deciding between one mega card or two smaller, I'd go for the big 4GB. I've personally found these cards to be super durable…when they're in the camera! And these days the 4GB card isn't much more than 2 2GB cards.

Go Big!

So what's your camera Ian?

Doug

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

I carry 2 cards myself. A few grams of redundancy doesn't hurt in the memory card dept., if just for a little peace of mind. I have lost a card in the field. I have had a card go bad.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Try the SanDisk Extreme III from Amazon. It's on sale for $37.95 down from $119.00. I just bought 2 2GB cards. The Extreme cards are designed to be more robust, shock and dust resistant. Might be just what you need. Plus, if you were going to pay full price for a 2GB version, you can now get two 4 GB versions!

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

The 4 and 8GB cards use a different format from the 2's and are not backwards compatible with older cameras. Make sure you confirm compatibility before dropping the money.
    Also, if you only have one big capacity card, and it's always in the camera; hard to loose it.
    Tip, carry one of your older cards in your wallet for those rare occasions when you forget to bring a card in your camera. Could save the day.

ian wright

@ianwright

Thanks for the feedback.

I mentioned in another thread recently that I was going to get a Panasonic TZ3 for a birthday present. That's what I asked for but my friend bought the TZ2 but that's fine by me. I like the compactness of a point and shoot and the wide angle and 10x zoom also so it's pretty much the right camera for me unless I find some $'s and buy an SLR also!

Also I asked for a 4G card which I got but it's a SD and won't work in the camera, for that size card my camera needs a SDHC so I will exchange it.

I prefer the idea of sticking the card in the camera and leaving it there as much as possible (eg, use the cable to transfer to my computer and leave the card in) so that minimises any chance of loosing or damaging it.

I'm going for a big card because why not ! I could go overseas for a month and maybe not need to download not that it matters.

Thanks for the feedback, I deliberately ask obvious questions here as many times you all give little (or big) bits of info that can be helpful in fine tuning things.

Hmmm . . . maybe an 8G card !

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice camera choice.

With that 4GB card I'd estimate that you'll get around 1200 shots. HEFTY!

Have fun with it!

Doug

ian wright

@ianwright

Thanks, I'm very happy with it though until I exchange the card I can't do much with it.

Would you beleive at the TZ3s lowest setting the 4G card can hold 24,130 photos ! That's a lot of bad photos !

Brian Lickliter

@blprophoto

I am a Pro Photographer I highly recomend the Extream III cards. I was on a tour when i left a CF card in my back pocket it was washed and dried in the Dryer. I was crapping my self due to the footage contained on the card could not be reshot. I talked to my tour Manager and for heck of it checked the card and it worked fine with no corruption at all. I have a endorsement with Sandisk after talking to the Sandisk Rep they during testing of the Extream cards they were placed in Salt Water for six hours and then dried and the still worked. They are also rated for a extreamly high amount of heat of over 200 degrees.
    Brain Lickliter
    http://www.blprophoto.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools