Topic

Looking To Get a Quality Down Quilt at a Good Value

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking To Get a Quality Down Quilt at a Good Value

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I know most folks feel like cottage mfg'ers should get a break on poor communication for some reason. Each to their own. Personally, I have high standards for those who wish to earn the money I have worked so hard for. If Tim Marshall(EE), Joe Valesko(Zpacks), and Chris McMaster(ULA) can return an email the same day why can't others? Because your email isn't a top priority to the others – plain and simple. Vote with your dollars and let the free market work.

Back on topic – Tim C: I think the quality of your bag will be fine. That's never been an issue with HG. Did you go sewn footbox or snaps? I assume it has a drawcord footbox with snaps up the leg?

Ryan

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Locale: United States

I agree I don't view Cottage companies any differently than any other small business or any business in general really. I run my own business and have run other small businesses in the past, so I know what it is like trying to juggle a lot of different things. I think the longest reasonable time to return an e-mail or phone call is 24 hrs, excluding weekends. I deal with a lot of realtors that your lucky to get a call back in a full week. Drives me nuts, the phone is the heart their business and they just ignore it. Customer service really is important despite what Wal-mart or Bank of America or Comcast might believe.

So I just received an e-mail back(Good timing!). He said he's been out of town for a couple days and has noted I have a deadline I'm hoping to meet. So from what I can gather I ought to have it in time, which will be very nice.

The way to handle being out of town with no cell/internet access is to post on your site your out of town and will be back on XX/XX, same with your answering machines. It keeps people from getting upset and posting things on the internet, lol. Even better would be to handle it the way I do and have someone trained who can handle the phones and e-mails while you are gone.

I was never worried about the quality of the bag, it seems they get rave reviews all around. I went with the snap closed footbox.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I know for me I was just exceptionally spoiled with Tim (EE), Ben Smith (GooseFeet gear), Chris (Zimmerbuilt), and Joe and Matt (zpacks) such that if I don't hear from the guy right away I wonder what's up…

After so many years of dealing with the big companies of the world I had actually given up on customer service from anyone…Tim Marshall and Joe Valesko were my first ventures into the cottage gear world and a) they earned my business for life and b) spoiled me in terms of what I now expect from everyone else…….

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

My recent experience is the same. I sent an email to HG last week with some questions. As yet, no response. During the same time, I have had several emails with Joe (Zpacks) and Tim (EE) and both have response in a timely manner. There is no doubt who I plan to place orders with….

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Well although their communication was a bit lacking their speed was not. It shipped today, I'll post some pics when I receive it. I can't wait to test it out next weekend!

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

It took just less than a week to get here. I ordered it Saturday evening and it showed up this afternoon. Amazing. I tested it out in my house and was of course sweating. It's long enough to pull over my head fully stretched out and has plenty of room for me at 6'2" and 160 lbs. It also wide enough that it'll cover my wife and I with it opened up.

Here's a few pictures, if anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer. There is one of my "Ultra-light" hiking partner enjoying it too.

Stuffed

Open

Stitching

Tag

Hiking Partner

Button Up

Loft

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I gave up being patient with HG. No reply after 2 emails and 8 days. Went with an EE again, like I knew I should have all along.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

You can't go wrong with EE.

Happy Quilting :-)

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

"The people over at HammockForums.net sure rant about how great the bags are. They also attacked someone with a similar complaint to mine, lol(The link is a couple posts back)."

the HF group is very friendly and very knowledgeable concerning hammocks. however they have a very protective, sipping the kool aid, don't you dare complain about a single aspect of any of our cottage people don't you know they are: a single mom, in college and young, only 1 person for christ's sake, doing this as a side business along with a regular job, you have to wait sometimes in life for good things mentality.

i stopped being a member of that community for a number of reasons. that said, i own a few HG items and i am very glad i do. top notch quality…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Im not sure what number I am in line..but EE+19

I *love* my enigma and the price was oustanding. Just cant get it overnight..mine took about 2.5 weeks to receive – they build to order here in good ol USA.

However Ill warn you that its so soft and light – you will lose it to your girlfriend. My gf is always snuggled up in it on the couch. I guess im gana need another one.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Mike,

Girlfriend quilt stealing is one of our built in features. It assures we sell twice as many!

-Tim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tim

I have to be honest… she made me check if you guys made regular sized quilts for bedding, etc. Something for you guys to think about…

And btw, It doesn't bother me at all if I need to buy one more. After watching her shake her head at my OCD behavior – like buying and returning 9 different tents (and weighing every part of each of them) – the quilt is a start to turning her around :)

Timothy Epp

@rush2112

Locale: Southwest British Columbia

I got an EE Enigma 30 a couple months ago during their 20% off sale and got it around 2 weeks later (they were quite inundated with orders). Sure is light and I'm really looking forward to using it soon when the winter is over.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools