Topic

Looking To Get a Quality Down Quilt at a Good Value

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking To Get a Quality Down Quilt at a Good Value

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Just be sure you get one wide enough. Many hammockers use quilts that are too narrow for comfortable ground use.

slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

Locale: Israel

+1 for HG

I did custom made quilt for 2 people the price was really good.

In fact I am looking for more. :)

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I was all set on getting an EE enigma to replace my Revelation… until I saw this thread. The HG quilts appear to be an exceptional value. I don't know how Argon compares to others. I am really leaning toward an HG Burro 20. Anyone else have any reviews on the build quality, design, etc?

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Locale: United States

So I went ahead and ordered my quilt even though I tried to get call them Friday and didn't hear back. I'll be happy to post some pics and let you know what my first impression is. I'm no expert though, so keep that in mind.

Also if I get it by the 7th of February I'll be taking it on a three day backpacking trip so I'll have a bit of experience with it. I can't wait to try it out and hopefully never think of my seven year old slumberjack bag again(Unless it's to lend it to some poor sucker who has no gear). Also I shouldn't have to worry about waking up shivering again at a temp 20 degrees above the bag's rating, lol.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

There's an EE 20* for $225 right now. Looks like a solid deal. Oh . . . No affiliation with any body selling any sleep items.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Tim,

Did you try to call me?

-Tim

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

No, but I emailed you a couple days ago. I decide to give Hammock Gear a shot, that's who I was referring to about calling. You both seem to have both have good gear at good prices and excellent reputations. Your 750 and his 850 are almost identical in weight and price but the fact that his was water resistant tipped it to his favor in my eyes. Your 850 WR would have been significantly lighter but I was already pushing the budget I set.

It's great to see your active on here though, I take that as a good sign. If my wife likes it, I'm going to get a quilt for her also.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

No, worries. His stuff can keep you warm too I guess ;)

-Tim

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had not come across Hammock Gear quilts until this thread, that i remember. Checked them out, they look pretty nice.

One thing i do like more about Tim's (Enlightened Equipment) quilts, is the width option vs the Hammock Gear quilts.

Ime, wider is often better, especially when you do any sleeping outside in more serious cold (15 degrees or less). Tim's regular wide size is 3 inches wider than Hammock Gear's, and there is an extra wide option now that is 9 inches wider than Hammock Gear's wide version (if i'm remember the stats correctly).

Having a smaller body myself, i wouldn't need 64 inches of width, but tell you on some of those pretty cold nights (around 0*F) it was nice to have the wide, 58 inch version quilt.

Anyways, perhaps an important consideration for fellow ground dwellers.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I think Adam over at HG makes a great product and is a very nice guy. But his sizing is geared toward hammock use where much slimmer quilts can be used. As an example I'm 6'2" 340# and use an Enigma Long/Wide on the ground but I use a Long/Slim in my hammock. As long as you're aware of the differences you can did something that will fit you well and fit your budget from either of our sites.

-Tim

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

This is not a pure apples to apples comparison…but its based on closest price and weights and what I would order. Also, the Enigma is a wide/long. The wide is a luxury i'd like, but the long is probably somewhat necessary since I am 5'11". If a regular EE could be an inch or so longer it'd be perfect. Off the bat I lean towards EE just based on my previous experience and Tim's great customer service. But heres the specs..

HG Burro 20:
    55" wide x 74" long
    Snap close footbox (my preference)
    water resistant 850fp down
    18.7oz
    $265

EE Enigma 20:

58"w x 78"l
    Sewn footbox
    750fp down
    21.25oz
    $240

Patrick Baker
    BPL Member

@f1prb22

I want to also to note the following cottage gear manufacturer:

http://www.undergroundquilts.com/Specs/default.html
    http://www.undergroundquilts.com/colors/default.html

They have a waiting list:
    http://www.undergroundquilts.com/status/default.html

HG Burrow 20F
    55" wide x 74" long
    13.2 water resistant 850fp down
    18.7oz total weight
    10D fabric
    $265
    The 10D Argon fabric is very comfortable and just drapes over your body.
    The latest 10D Argon also has ripstop in it. There is also now a 15D Argon available at: http://dutchwaregear.com/argon-cs90-ripstop-fabric-red.html
    I surmise that a 10D internal fabric combined with the 15D external fabric would be an worthwhile combination of comfort and durability.

UG Flight 20F
    55" wide x 72" long
    14oz water resistant 850fp down
    22.75oz total weight
    15D fabric
    $285
    Their 15 fabric seems quite robust to me, its a little stiff so far, and was selected by UG after comparison testing: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80297

I want to stress the importance as stated in some previous posts, that my HG and UG dimensions each do not match specs while laying flat on the ground, but are closer to specs when the quilt is being used and is "stretched" out.

Workmanship on the quilts seems comparable to each other.
    HG offers a half taper option while UG does not.
    Cosmetically, my HG has silver snaps, while I prefer my UG black snaps.
    My HG and UG opinions have not yet so far been formed from actual field testing.

HG has experienced some communication gaps recently:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85168

I own both an HG, an UG, and a EE.

I selected the HG for a "never leave it behind" quilt.
    HG Burrow 50 (half taper)
    55"xW/82"xL
    7.5oz 850 WP Fill (2oz+)
    14.00oz actual

I selected the UG for a "its near freezing" quilt.
    UQ Flight 40
    55"xW/84"xL
    12.0oz 850 WP Fill (1oz+)
    21.7oz actual

I will combine the two for GA winter cold.

EE RevX 40 (half taper)
    Large Karo baffles
    11oz 850 non-WP down (1-2oz+)
    58"W/84"L
    30D fabric
    Weighs 21oz

Scott Penman
    BPL Member

@scottpenman

Locale: Missouri-Colorado

I apologize if the answer to this is otherwise obvious but what is a half taper quilt? I've been researching a quilt purchase (new or used)and haven't been able to locate the intel.

Ash Nat
    Spectator

@maritan

There's full taper and half taper.

Full taper is when it starts narrowing down from the top to the bottom.

Half taper (I've assumed) is when it comes down straight for the half the length of the quilt and then tapers to the width at the foot of the quilt.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

You got it Ash. Years ago a rather smart guy started using half tapers because they give more coverage. Now it seems many other guys are doing the same.

-Tim

Scott Penman
    BPL Member

@scottpenman

Locale: Missouri-Colorado

Very much appreciate the info.

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Just wanted to give an update. I tried calling HG on Thursday and didn't get a call back but went ahead and ordered Friday anyways as I was hoping to receive it in time for an upcoming trip. I've tried to call two more times and sent an e-mail but still have not received any response. I simply want to confirm they had the order and see when they thought it would be ready.

The people over at HammockForums.net sure rant about how great the bags are. They also attacked someone with a similar complaint to mine, lol(The link is a couple posts back). However from my previous experiences with cottage companies(Etowah Outfitters and ULA) I was hoping for and expecting much better customer service. No matter how great their bags, service like that will turn off a lot of potential customers. Anyways just wanted to make you all aware. I'll keep you updated.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I emailed some questions last Friday.. Still haven't heard back.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I've had no dealings with HG but that's the nature of the beast when dealing with the cottage industry sometimes. I've learned to be patient with them as they like to hike and have their own adventures to chase.

I agree that it's easy to get spoiled with Chris of ULA. I've received email from him at all hours of the night and both packs were mailed the next business day.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Enlightened Equipment and Zpacks are pretty good about responding here/emails or posting on their sites if mia. Joe at Zpacks will post that he is off bping, but has someone to cover orders.
    Duane

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

+1 to Tim and Joe…add Chris @ Zimmerbuilt to the list as well…impeccable communication IME.

-Mark in St. Louis

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I'll add that I also contacted HG a couple months back, as well two weeks back asking a couple simple questions about a 50 degree quilt because I was trying to pick between theirs and an EE quilt, and never heard back either time from HG. Makes my decision easy as to who to give my money to, especially when one was on the fence like I was. Cottage industry or not, customer service is a critical and fundamental aspect of any retail business.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have had nothing but good experiences with Aaron at Katabatic having purchased 5 quilts and a hood. While Katabatic quilts certainly aren't low cost, the "value" proposition is there for me and many others.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I know a guy you can call and talk to or email with and he always gets right back. ;)

-Tim

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

My email inbox can vouch for that. Our last conversation was almost instant messenger-like in that fellow's turnaround time.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools