Topic

Arcteryx warranty success! But looking for some help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Arcteryx warranty success! But looking for some help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Hello friends,

A couple months ago I emailed in about a 10+ year old Arcteryx jacket with seams falling apart. It was suggested my many to simply send it back for warranty repair in lieu of me trying to repair the seams. I'm happy to report back that they are giving me full replacement credit for a new jacket (much more than I paid for it), but I have to choose from what they have on-hand.

So, I am leaning either toward the 380g Beta LT Hybrid or the 310g Alpha FL. Does anyone have any thoughts/eaperience with these jackets?

(to add to the confusion, they apparently the dropped the pit zips off the Alpha SL, but now weighs 305g!?) Therefore, the 2014 Beta LT is now their lightest jacket they sell with pit zips (20g heavier than what I sent back to them).

As you can tell I am partial to having pit zips on my jackets (especially residing in the mid Atlantic area.) I am just not sure if the newer fabric used in the Alpha series is worth ditching a feature I have fully utilized for about thirty years now.

And thanks again for the suggestions to test their warranty dept out.

Matt

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

The new stuff from Gore is better than ever. I have the Beta FL from last year, which is based on the Gore-Tex Active Shell and similar to the Alpha FL. I don't really miss pit zips when the weather is about 50ºF or below. The latest iteration of Gore-Tex that the Beta LT uses (Gore-Tex Pro, 2014) is supposedly even more breathable due to lacking a monolithic polyurethane membrane.

David Ure

@familyguy

I knew they would come through. Great warranty.

I have this jacket:

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Jackets&model=Tecto-FL-Jacket

Which is under 10oz. I find the fabric extremely breathable (on par or better than eVent) which holds the DWR very well. No pit zips but I have not had any issue. Excellent hood.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Hmm, I think some of your information is off. The Beta LT doesn't have pit zips and weighs 355 grams. There is no Beta LT Hybrid. The Alpha SL is the only hybrid listed on their website and its 365 grams. It also has pit zips. The Alpha FL is 290 grams and doesn't have pit zips.

The lightest Arcteryx shell with pit zips appears to be Alpha SL pullover at 320 grams or the Alpha SL jacket at 340 grams. Those are both only Goretex Paclite though.

I haven't actually used it yet, but the Goretex Active membrane is supposed to be extremely breathable. The Alpha FL (290 grams) and Tecto FL (280 grams) both use it but neither has pit zips (or hand pockets). If you want the lightest 3 layer jacket with hand pockets its the back to the Beta LT and 355 grams (but no pit zips again).

Adam

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Thanks Adam, I wish it were off, but I got the info directly from the warranty rep who got it out of the 2014 tech manual (and the physical samples he has.)

He indicated the website was not up to date yet, so any research I have dug up has not helped because of the product changes. (Which has certainly added to my confusion). It is good to hear that the new "Active" membrane is getting such good reviews. It's causing me to rethink my stance on pit-zips.

Matt

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Matt,

If those are really the choices I would go for the Beta LT if you like pit zips. I know a lot of people don't care for them, but if you like them I say keep them.

I just got rid of a Polartec Neoshell jacket because the Alpha SL pullover had better pit zips. For me when moving hard, the good pit zips make a significant difference in how I feel. I just don't think I can dump as much heat through the albeit very breathable fabric as I can through these very well shaped holes under my arm (the Arc'teryx pit zips or cut of the jacket under the arm did make a big difference compared to other jackets with smaller pit zips and tighter cut).

With the Beta LT Hybrid you would get a LT jacket, which might be a bit more robust, with pit zips for the extra 20gr. Not a bad deal weight wise.

As an aside if they really got rid of the pit zips under the Alpha SL, Alpha SL hybrid and Alpha SL pullover than that would be, sad.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Interesting Matt. I really like the Beta LT that's out now but if they're adding pit zips I'll totally be sold. Did he tell you what fabrics the new Beta LT Hybrid uses? The current Beta LT is all 40d Pro shell. Are they making a lower cost version with Paclite similar to the current Alpha SL Hybrid or beefing it up with a heavier Pro shell in the high wear areas? If its the latter I'm even more interested!

The only reason I'm staying away from the Active shells at the moment is because I want something with hand pockets so its more convenient when I wear it around town or walking the dogs. With how much they cost I'm going to need to wear its as much as possible to justify it!

Adam

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

The Beta LT won't have pit zips, the Beta LT Hybrid will. Fabrics for the Beta LT Hybrid are regular GTX + Paclite. It will be their lightest hard shell with pit zips (Alpha SL will loose those and no more PO and Alpha SL Hybrid). For a claimed 0,4 oz. more (size M) you can get the Alpha LT, with pit zips and completely from Pro.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

The Beta LT Hybrid has Paclite and Pro in reinforced areas.
    I'm curious about the rest of the info, would love to read more. Where did you get that from (link)?

Just before this thread I bought another Alpha SL Pullover on sale because it's the perfect jacket for me. Glad I did.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

I have had the Beta FL since it came out. The active shell is really, really good. I have heard that the new ProShell is 30 percent more breathable than the last iteration… so if that is true… then go for the beta LT. It looks like a sweet jacket.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Their tech manual.
    And the Beta LT Hybrid has no Pro but regular GTX.
    Further, I see now only one jacket with GTX Active, the Tecto FL. The Alpha FL will get Pro completely and the Beta FL isn't mentioned anymore.

marcus hampton

@thecritter

Locale: Pacific Northwest

This is the video from when I got my first article of gear(I have 2) from Arc'teryx. Unboxing the Arc'teryx Alpha SV .

Since then it has been through much abuse with no problem. Arc'teryx in Cataclysmic Rain and Wind This is where it gets interesting!

Here's the much less popular unboxing of my Arc'teryx Sabre pants. Since this vid the Sabre pants have already been slightly punctured, in the seat, as the result of a slight slip on sharp rock. They are being sent to a Seattle company (Rainy Pass Repairs) to be fixed(video to come).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools