Topic

Problem marking nylon, Help!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Problem marking nylon, Help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I have been marking cut lines in lightweight (0.9 – 1.1 oz) nylon with a sharpie. So far, my projects have been fairly utilitarian ranging from quilts to stuff-sacks. However, I am now branching out into clothing and I can no longer accept the fact that the sharpies show through the nylon to the other side! I am planning a down insulated garment with baffles so, there is a lot of marking going on throughout the piece. How can I mark the lines for the baffles for sewing using something that will show up on one side but not the other of the nylon?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Try a more or less worn thin old bar of soap. Or if necessary carve a sharp edge on it. The soap will rub off or wipe off with something damp. This works great.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

there are many specialty marking tools you can use for this purpose, chalk pencils or markers that are made to wash out… you could find them at any craft or quilting store.
    of course, soap would work as well, and is basically free.

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

I find prismacolor pencils work really well. If you've got a friend that draws or who's an art teacher. They mark well and then rub off easy. Most art stores also sell them loose.

JFF

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools