Topic

1st CDT YO-YO Attempt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique 1st CDT YO-YO Attempt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

I wanted to alert folks to a website /hiker worth note in the UL/SUL hiking community.

Francis Tapon has hiked the AT and PCT in SUL/UL Style. He is currently almost half way through the first CDT Yo-Yo attempt.

I beleive he may be the first LD Thru-Hiker to exclusivly use a Cuben Fiber small solo sized tarp.
    Considering it's the CDT in pretty cold temps that's amazing.

You can read his trip reports at:
    http://francistapon.com/

From his home page, click the CDT left navbar link and then scroll to the bottom for the individual report links.

His CDT gear list is the lightest (published) list I've ever seen for a Thru Hiker that has made* it… And it's the CDT!

*(He has almost made the thru hike one way by now and has the Yo Yo return trip ahead.)

Ron

Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Locale: Red Neck Riviera

yes..I somehow came across his website a few weeks back..wow..pretty impressive I think.some of that gear..well just alittle to light for me.but to each his own.still he has done some serious hiking useing his light gear . I wish him continued success

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

this seems pretty amazing to me.

I plan on doing some long thru-hikes in the future, and have toyed with the idea of attempting a sub-5 AT thru hike, but I would never try it on the Continental divide.

this guy is really pushing the limits of UL/SUL.. I hope it all works well til the end of his hike.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Sign up for his e-mail newsletters. They're always long-winded and usually fairly entertaining. He's had some hijinks and some scary moments out there. I think it's cool that he's carrying so much gadgetry in addition to his hiking gear.
    -Mark

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Oh yeah! Francis is great! His book is a wonderful read too.

His gear may be a bit heavy, but hey- no one is perfect. ;-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools