Topic

Winter Cabineering – Part 1: Video Essay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Winter Cabineering – Part 1: Video Essay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Winter Cabineering – Part 1: Video Essay

karl hafner
    BPL Member

@khafner

Locale: upstate NY

for those that live on the east coast the potomac appalachian trail club in DC has over 20 structures that they rent out. It is a great way to break into this field. I introduced many people to winter outdoors via their structures. They range in size from 4 bunks to over 12 people. Most are on feeders of the AT.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

All USFS cabins and firelookouts available for rent (such as the Fox Creek cabin featured in the video) can be researched and reserved through recreation.gov. My wife and our friends rent at least one of these every winter as they are great for not only going-to as an ends within itself but also make a great jumping off point for backcountry ski adventures. Enjoyable video, Ryan.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Nicely produced video. I really enjoyed watching it.

I spent 4 days/3 nights in a Leanto in the Adirondack high peaks over winter break, but this makes me want to go back out for more time in the winter. Good stuff!

I need to get my friends to get BPL subscriptions so I can share this video with them!

Jeff

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Getting pumped for 3 different upcoming trips to huts this winter. The 10th Mountain Division Hut Association is a great system here in Colorado!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks Ryan.

A "dry" cabin is the way to go for maximum enjoyment of winter wonderlands and still feel close to nature.

Also it's a good intro to multi-day winter travel and the preparation for it with people who may be new to winter camping. It's not quite "total immersion". winter camping.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Getting pumped for 3 different upcoming trips to huts this winter. The 10th Mountain Division Hut Association is a great system here in Colorado!"

10th Mtn is my alma mater (along with the 101st and a couple others). Why that division is now located in an area far from moutains is a complete mystery to me.

I realize that these huts weren't built until 1989ish (long after 10th Mtn was gone from CO) but I'd still like to ski/shoe through that area someday.

Ryan,

Great video and look forward to seeing some more on the topic.

Mark Roberts
    BPL Member

@redwedge

Locale: Lapland

Nice video and articles, Ryan.

You should really come over to Lapland sometime – there are tons of really nice free, open cabins. I tend to head towards them even if I feel like pitching a 'Mid, just for the fireplace and backup security.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools