Topic

Measuring water

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Measuring water

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

"I suggest the problem is so poorly defined that any answer could be correct."

Roger, I suggest you think about it a little more. C'mon! Work that big brain!

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

General solution:

1. 1 cup from wine bucket A (quantity >= 1 cup) is added to water bucket B (quantity n cups, n>=1):

2. B has n+1 cups mix: n cups water, 1 cup wine.

3. Filling 1 cup from B thus gives a mixture of n/(n+1) cups water and 1/(n+1) cups wine.

4. B, after the cup is taken back, has the original 1 cup of wine, less the amount in the cup going back to A, or 1-[1/(n+1)] cups wine. This simplifies to n/(n+1) as per (3).

5. A, with its n/(n+1) cups water from the mixed cup from B, thus has the same amount of water as there is wine in B.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

That's a lot of math for a simple question….

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

Wine being mostly water by composition, both buckets contain mostly water no matter what you do with them!

Also, in regards to "eyeballing it"…the one area I've found not to do this is in making coffee for a group. Get it right, then replicate exactly every day.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I concur with Jeremy that (if the buckets are larger than cups (a reasonable assumption) and the two buckets are the same size/fullness at the start, then) there is exactly as much water in the wine as wine in the water after the two transfers, regardless of the size of the cups.

Nice problem. I use it at Middle School Math Club tomorrow.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Nobody mentioned paint pens as a good marking tool. They last MUCH longer than a sharpie and easier to do than dremel or punch marks. Available at hobby lobby or art stores for $3-4.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools