Topic

35 to 50

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont 35 to 50

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Hi All,

I just sat through our local council's Advisor meeting for Philmont 2014, and I can't count the number of times I heard "35 to 50 pounds" during the three hours of slide shows.

Now I've been to Philmont twice before, both as a youth and as a (young & fit) adult advisor, my last trip carrying a very comfortable (but very heavy) Lowe, which can easily handle whatever weight I put in it.

Back then, I am certain my pack weight was between 35 and 45 pounds, but I am seeking to carry less than that range this time around.

I recently was given a large Arc Blast, which I am eagerly looking forward to using, but was curious if there were other Arc Blast users (or other UL pack users) that had any advice or suggestions about using it at Philmont.

I have been using an ArcTeryx Khamsim 52 for about a decade now, which I can easily see myself using as well, but I like the idea of using a bag of equal volume but about third of the weight.

Thanks,

Matt

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

That "35 to 50" is part of the risk advisory and other literature. Not surprising you hear it over and over.

"Each participant must be able to carry a 35- to 50-pound pack while hiking 5 to 12 miles per day in an isolated mountain wilderness ranging from 6,500 to 12,500 feet in elevation." (2013 Council and Unit Planning Guide)

No way I would let anyone carry 50 lbs on a trek (except my son – he's crazy and super fit). He's also done 6 treks, so he knows what he can do.

I have no experience with the Arc Blast. I'd try it out on some shakedown trips and see how it works out. That's really the only way to find out. If it fits well and works out, you've saved some weight.

BTW,that's him with the umbrella hat next to me in my avatar.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

There are many there for which 50 lbs is real. I watched quite a few weigh in 50-60 lb packs.

Id say 45 is the norm.

Our heaviest leaving base was about 35. We were the lightest crew I saw while there. My son and I were the only anywhere near-UL range that I saw.

Mine weighed low 20s leaving base.

I used a Circuit, ~8lb baseweight, and ~4 lbs of crew gear. My heaviest was about 32 into a dry camp with 6.5L water.

Depending on your gear, the arc blast may or may not be big enough. I have read others using them. Dont expect it to carry a heavy water load well though.

I was repeatedly told my pack was too small, couldnt hold the food, etc. Even when I pulled out a zpacks blast foodbag with 5 days of actual Philmont food for show-n-tell, another advisor that had been 4 times, and was proud of his 55 lb 80L pack,and high leather boots, told me it was only about one days food volume.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools