Topic

SILK BANDANA FOR FACIAL SUN PROTECTION?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SILK BANDANA FOR FACIAL SUN PROTECTION?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

Since even large brim hats arent good enough for keeping sun from my face i want to start using a bandana.Cotton bandanas are too thick and your breathing gets trapped and heats up your face.So im thinking of silk bandanas.Anyone use them?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Probably not enough sun protection

Too many UV waves get through

Best to use some UPF rated fabric

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Sun Precautions has an excellent neck/face drape hat made from (by?) Solumbra fabric: very high spf. The drape has a series of velcro fasteners going up its length, so you can adjust it in a variety of ways; all the way over your nose if you want.` It's a larger drape than say Marmot's drape style hat. It's very good for bug protection as well as sun protection. It looks a little…unusual but I've gotten over that.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

A buff is a much better alternative to a bandana. The coverage is better and less tight around my head. Checkout the link below which has a video on all of the incredible ways you can where them. They are made from polyester and dry very quickly and ultralight @ 1.3oz.

http://www.rei.com/product/691367/buff-original-buff

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

We have used both silk and cotton in the snow on very bright days.
    Both worked, but both interefered with breathing.

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Satin finish silk is considered to have good UV protection. Color and weave will have effect.

Desert folk have use the shemagh scarf for centuries. Too warm for my tastes, but it can have many uses. Typically a 3'x3' loose weave cotton square folded into a triangle and wrapped around the head and neck. There are dozens of sites showing how to wear one.

Shemagh scarf

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

yeah this is what i hate about bandanas but im thinking of making slits in the fabric to ease restriction of breath.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Dave, are you really a vampire, like your avatar shows?

If so, then television has taught me you shouldn't go in the sun at all, but if you do, you should raise your elbow over your face in a sinister fashion and laugh loudly, as a pipe organ plays in the background.

I'm sorry, that wasn't helpful at all. Seriously, have you considered any of the asian-inspired straw hats? They have pretty darned amazing coverage, in part because the brim comes down low around the exterior.

To wit:

http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/product/chillba-hat

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

no matter how wide your brim is youre getting rays reflected off the ground and from the side.i have a 6in brim on my hat and i get burned all the time.
    my dad got skin cancer all over his face from hiking and has to get skin cut out often.He has to visit dermatologist every 3 months.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I used a polyester buff last year in the sierras and it was fine for breathing. I put it over my face like a balaclava.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

breathing: yep, can be a problem with bandana style facial coverage. Again, the Sun Precautions drape hat fits so loosely that breathing isn't a problem; alternatively, you can 'unzip' it via velcro fasteners to just below your nose, your chin, or over your ears and neck but not on your face at all, but still hanging down the side of your face.

I too had a cancerous melanoma sliced out of my cheek. Not at all pleasant and possibly dangerous–this stuff is deadly if it spreads. Plus, these things only start showing up after 20 or 25 years; there may be more in store for me down the road. So I'm a convert to sun protection for sure.

I use a wide brim hat and lots of sunscreen as a minimum.

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

I've used a buff and was mostly pleased with it, but found my sunglasses fog with every breath. Kind of a pain, but probably depends on how you wear it.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

I use a large hat brim and Zinc rubbed into nose cheeks and chin.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Dave, FWIW, I have a white silk bandana, extra large, that I use in the desert (Mojave mostly), and think is just about perfect. It blocks plenty of sun for me, but then I have Mediterranean blood. Down side – silk is not much good at wiping/drying things so not as multi-use, but it is lighter than cotton and dries really fast.

Also when tied just right you get that romantic, trailing-in-the-wind, Peter O'toole-in-Lawrence-of-Arabia effect.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dave,

Have you ever considered a 100% linen bandanna? Has nice combo of properties–tends to be a bit looser weaved than regular cotton bandanna (won't be as UV protective unless you double it), fairly antimicrobial (definitely more than both cotton and silk), dries noticeably faster than cotton (i plan to do a dry test between a cotton shirt and linen in the near future), is conductive and cooling, and takes UV better than silk (silk while UV protective potentially, is considered a UV weak fabric–somewhat easily damaged by same).

Having Linen shorts, pants, button up long sleeve shirts, a t-shirt, bandanna, socks, underwear, bathrobe, and a towel i can't say enough nice stuff about it in general and especially for hot weather. While my regular cotton towels start to get funky after about a week of not washing, i once held out 3 weeks on my linen one (as a test) and it still smelled fine (but i washed it anyways).

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

+1 for the Buff. If you fold it under your nose just right you can eliminate fogging. Works great!

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

NM

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools