Topic

Do you get used to animal noises? What about scaredy cats?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Do you get used to animal noises? What about scaredy cats?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Sounds like a great way to wake the entire forest at 2AM over a baby raccoon."

Excellent. Wake me up to get the photo.

–B.G.–

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

If you are seriously afraid of the animals in the forest, logic suggests you don't go into that forest. Problem solved.

Seriously, do your research beforehand; know what, if any, dangerous animals are known to frequent the area, their habits, and the appropriate avoidance techniques. Then plan accordingly. Ipod off; brain on!

I would only take special protective precautions in areas where Grizzly or Polar Bears are found. Fortunately for me, Polar Bears in the PNW are found only in zoos.

Black Bears are rarely predatory; they just want your food, so use common sense – keep a clean camp and use either a bear canister or a good hang. Once Yogi and Boo-Boo get your food, you would be foolish to attempt to get it back. If an overly aggressive Black Bear is known to be operating in a given area, think twice before camping there.

Cougars are not known to sneak into camp at night just to eat hikers. They are ambush predators. Suggestion – it is probably not a good idea to go for a solo run in their territory, especially with ear buds in and your ipod on.

You'll never hear a snake coming. Refer to paragraph 2.

Remember, zombies must be shot in the head and werewolves take a silver bullet. Experience has led me to believe that my hiking socks, hanging on a nearby bush, will effectively repell all living things within a 50 yard radius. Ye, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for my socks and hiking shirt are the meanest SOBs in the valley.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Bob – socks – perfect!!!

The two worst bush night-time noises I have ever heard were of some concern.

The first was made by an angry koala bear in the tree above us. OK, OK, you Americans can laugh. A cute cuddly koala bear? But you have never heard one when it's angry. It sounded like a cross between an Amityville horror and a chain saw at full throttle – in the dark. And close. Fortunately, I knew what it was.

The second noise, which did have me worried (but not scared) was that of a car load of drunk teenagers parking near our tent at 8 pm in the bush. Definitely not good. I crawled out of the tent and 'looked' at them. After some mumbling they left. I don't think the underpants I was wearing at the time intimidated them, but maybe the 3 lb machete with a 1/4" thick back in my hand might have been noticed.

Animals? I'm bigger than most of them, and I am a carnivore.

Cheers

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Nothing much to worry about in NZ animal wise. However,I did get spooked the other day when a Kea crept up behind me under my tarp. Like Dave C, I have found that the more nights out the less jumpy you get. However, once in a while something is going to spook you – it's just the way we are wired.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"I awoke to the sound of alien lasers shredding my tent!

(Once awake, a quick investigation revealed that the noise was just snow sliding off the tent.)"

Ha! For me it was the sound of an unknown but huge animal snorting just outside the tent. Darn snow.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

>"Leave the earplugs and iPod at home and tune in, not out."
    I sleep outdoors almost weekly year-round, and the only noise that bothers me is the buzzing of gnats and mosquitoes in warm weather. I'll take my ear plugs over being tuned in to that!

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools