Topic

Fancy/Cheap Gizmo for Dehydrating Apples (Video by Critter)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Fancy/Cheap Gizmo for Dehydrating Apples (Video by Critter)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    marcus hampton

@thecritter

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here is the video.

The gadget in the video peels, slices, and cores apples. I didn't include info like using lime juice, citric acid, or sodium whatever for preservation but, hey, your in the food section and there are plenty experts around to help with that.

Since making this video I have made more apple chips and thanks to a comment elsewhere I now put the cinnamon sugar on a plate and dip each ring.

The Victorio Apple Peeler sells for about $25.00 on Amazon. It can peel potatoes but I feel like that dulls the blade and a standard peeler is better for potatoes.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It isn't required, but have you tried dipping the raw apple slices in lemon juice before they go into the dehydrator. Doesn't that cut down on the browning effect?

–B.G.–

marcus hampton

@thecritter

I've never tried that. I leave the dehydrator running and work quickly to get the apples into the dehydrator. It works very well for me.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Bob,

I fill a large bowl with water, then squeeze in a lemon or two. As I slice the apples I drop them in the bowl. When done, I drain the apples and slap them on the trays. And no browning – ta-da!

marcus hampton

@thecritter

Using lemons the normal method but I suggested limes because lemons aren't available everywhere. Hikers in Mexico, for example, don't have the option of using lemons. The citric acid is what does the preservation so limes will work if you are in an area where you can't find lemons.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That's great for $25 and I bet you could knock out 10lbs of apples before I'd finish the first one.

I'm on the east side of WA in apple mecca. Where on earth are you finding 3lbs for $1? Best I can find around here is 1$ per lb and that's buying direct from the produce warehouse. Don't bogart the deals man!

Also, my apologies if you covered this in your video and I missed it… can you change the thickness of the slices?

marcus hampton

@thecritter

The IGA in Hoodsport, WA occasionally has 3 lb bags of apples on sale for like a dollar a pound but when they don't sell…my homegirl, who happens to be the produce manager and owners daughter, puts them on sale for $1 a bag. They've only had them twice but they have them right now. They aren't on super sale yet but I'm waiting. I also get lots of free produce, like the pineapples in my other video, because my homeygirl and I are cool like that.

Edit: I just woke up and remembered that I didn't answer the other part of your question. The slicer only slices one thickness. But it's the perfect thickness for pies, applesauce, and of course, apple chips. You can adjust how much peel the peeler takes off.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Ah! Our local Fred Meyer's does that as well – they have an "ugly" produce section for quick sell. I watch that because if I am making frozen bananas for smoothies or dried fruit, it is OK if it is a bit ugly/ripe :-)

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I prefer with cinnamon and sugar also besides citrus fruits there is a product called fruit fresh that you mix with water and soak the slices in to prevent browning. Next try bananas w/ cinnamon and sugar I just let them get brown as they are a pain to dip. Good videos Critter

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I picked up this apple peeler at Bed Bath and Beyond last week. Can't remember for how much but it was under $25 with an additional 20% off coupon. Pretty slick.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools