Topic

Cutting Evazote?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cutting Evazote?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Can anyone recommend a best practice for cutting into Evazote/closed-cell foam, leaving the cleanest edge possible?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

To cut 5-millimetre thick foam pad I've used a handheld rotary fabric cutter available at fabric stores. Brand name:Fiskars.

Ron Rod

@ron-rod

Hi there Nathan,

I use a single edge razor to cut out foam. A sharp blade cuts through the foam nicely. You can also use the blade to put a bevel on the edges of your foam pieces, to soften/round them a bit.

Just watch your fingers! Sometimes, if I am going to be doing a lot of cutting with the razor, I will wrap some tape or Band-Aids around my thumb, pointer, and middle fingers. This stops the cuts before they happen.

Hope this helps!

Graham Williams

@crackers

a hot knife or hot wire cutter.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks, folks…I opted for a heated large-size Xacto knife and it worked pretty well, with minimal ragged edges. (Was reducing a GG NightLight 3/4 pad to torso length.) Thanks for all the input!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools