Topic

SUL for 40 F

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Locale: Cumberland Trail

I am looking for SUL gear list ideas for 40F temps. I have a 11.7 oz gatewood cape for shelter and rain gear. I would like the list to include the the gatewood cape.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

A medium Zpacks 0 = 4.2 ounces
    A 40* EE Enigma 40* = 12-14 ounces
    GG pads 1/8" cut under feet = 2 or less Nightlight on top = 5 ounces so 7 ounces
    Jacket Montbell Ex-Light = 5.7 ounces
    Gatewood Cape = 11.7 ounces
    Light Cocking set-up = 5 ounces or less

All this equals about 45 ounces or 2 lbs 13 ounces.
    It will keep you plenty warm to 40* as well

You have 70% of the weight of your gear in the above and at less than 3 pounds.
    A Gatewood Cape is a nice piece of gear for a SUL setup.

The whole idea of SUL is to make sure your gear is both small and light to enable you to use a pack like a Zpacks Zero.
    If you don't do this, everything keeps adding up to where you need a 2 1/2 pound pack to comfortably carry everything.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Cooking gear?
    Water bottles?
    First aid kit?
    Night clothing if wet?

Could be a few things short here.

Cheers

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Just giving some "big" item hints.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Get LiteTrail's 550 cooking setup, or make your own w/a soup can pot/foil lid from Progresso + Ti-wing esbit stove + foil windscreen. Add fire starter/lighter of choice.

Smartwater bottles + Sawyer Squeeze Mini

Driducks or similar jacket for rain/wind/added heat retention.

Swiss Army knife classic (tiny one).

Button cell light.

Basic first aid/repair/misc in ziploc: bandaids, duct tape, a few meds, drivers license, keys, cell phone, whistle.

Add a base / sleeping layer if you like them – I do.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

I'm not really too concerned about the Big 4, its the other gear that is getting me. I have 13.5 oz of ditty gear and 10.2 oz cooking and drinking. I want a SUL cooking system that weighs less than 5 oz with everything and has a windscreen. Right now my system includes 1/4 pack towel 22 grams
    Fork 5 grams
    2 oz water filter
    Cook pot 75 grams
    Windscreen 11 grams
    Stove 13 grams
    and my 2 water bottles were 102 grams, but i know i can get much lighter on those.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here are some Videos by Mike Clelland,you might be the most interested in,All the DINKY stuff, Part ONE. This means the little items , and All the DINKY stuff, Part TWO The first-aid kit, repair kit and the cook kit.If you don't to make your own cheap and light cook system like in Mikes video(at the bottom of the page is Andrew Skurka demonstrating how to make the cat food can stove) , HERE is a already put together set up by Lite Trail TOTAL Weight: 3.40 oz Handles / 2.97 No Handles on the pot. But there are many cheap and light systems. THIS was Joe Valeskos PCT gear list(Total Base Weight:
    4 lbs, 15 oz / 2.23 kg)you can click on links in his list,such as his stove and it shows what it looks like and how he made it. None of the lists include a Gatewood Cape, but they might give you ideas for other areas to save weight.This is the Suluk 46 T.E.A. SYSTEM .
    And HERE is his(Steven Evens) SUL gear list.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Nice! That is exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't seen the Suluk TEA system before. That is probably the one ill go with.

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

The only downside I see is how potentially fragile the pot is, but that is the nature of SUL

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Jeremy, I post gear list from my trips on my website.

LytW8.comjourneys

I just checked and 5 of my last 7 trips were below 5 lbs base weight (all lists available). Most of my gear is MYOG so I have that as an advantage, but on several trips I was also carrying a kindle so I take what I need to enjoy myself.

The important thing is really knowing your gear and honing your skills. I try to do something different each time I go out and I continue to learn. And yes I make mistakes, that is when I am really learning.

Jamie

Jeremy Rardin
    Spectator

@jearbear

Jamie-

I appreciate your insight! Though I have made some of my own gear, I am not too great at it haha. I just looked over some of the stuff on your sight and that's really awesome! I really like some of that stuff you have made. I particularly am into the gear list for temps 35 to 60. 40 to 70 is what I will encounter most until summer. notice you carry a 2.5 L bottle, do you use that as a bladder with a hose? Or is that for camp?

I also really like your backpack design as well as your cuben tarp design. That is really cool. How well does your rain wrap work?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools