Topic

Question for fellow side sleepers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Question for fellow side sleepers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Tried the Big Sky inflatable pillow with cover at GGG. Worked pretty well, though I'd be happier if it was about 1 inch thicker for side sleeping with big shoulders.

Undecided on the cover, but that was very comfy. Next trip I'll try it without the cover.

Definitely a keeper.

— Rex

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I found it hard to sleep on my side in a sleeping bag that has a hood. The bag never wanted to follow me as I tossed and turned. The quilt seemed better because of the straps keeping it put on the pad, but much of the time I just wrap the straps around my body instead. Still works. I wear a Ray Jardine bomber hat that I sewed myself to keep my head warm. When it's cold, I add a second quilt, a JRB wearable quilt. I leave my down jacket at home and wear the quilt in camp and then drape it on top of me in bed. Keeps out the drafts of my quilt.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I've taken to tossing and turning a lot, and side, rather than back, sleeping.
    Just changed from bags to a quilt, and am very happy with it. I got a wide Katabatic Palisade whose attachment system eliminates drafts, and that has an overstuffed collar that cinches down around the neck. Maybe I've been instantly spoiled by Katabatic's features, but using it at low temps hasn't been an issue. First 3 nights were 20s, ~10F with layers, and ~0F with a down hoody.
    No more twisting, burrowing, and breathing into the bag, plus so far I seem to stay on my pad better(presumably due to being clipped to it!).

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I'm a veteran tosser and turner, and claustrophobic as well. Mummies give me fits. Quilts were the answer for me except in winter. The past two winters I've been experimenting with a Nunatak Arc Expedition (5 F rating), with some success. Sometimes I go back to my 25-year old Western Mountaineering Sequoia, a nifty mummy-semi rectangular hybrid, also rated at 5 F, supplemented by an overbag if necessary. A recent find was a BA Q Core pad that magically keeps me atop it, which helps particularly with the quilt. With the quilt I wear a down sweater that has a fabric hood, plus a watch cap.

Petra S
    Spectator

@sweetpea36

Locale: Ohio

As a side and back sleeper, I can't stand mummy bags. However, I went on my first winter hike, having bought a Feathered Friends Murre and slept like a baby! It's made for women, and I can turn and roll and the bag stays in place! I can even have enough room to bring up my knees when I'm on my side.

My tent buddy has a different take on the side sleeping solution though. He bought a custom made sleeping pad so that it would be big enough for him to side sleep without worrying about falling off. He uses his 15F bag unzipped as a quilt and down pants and coat over his long johns when it was really cold.

Can't say that either of us are ultralight, but we'd rather sleep well and carry a few more oz, than tired the next day on the trail :)

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

I haven't looked back since switching to quilts. Like many others have said, having a wide enough quilt is going to prevent drafts for the most part. Pad attachment systems(especially Katabatic's), do a solid job of keeping out drafts. I rarely ever use straps and have no issues with drafts most of the time.

When it is <30, I will wear a hooded down jacket. Even in very cold temps I stick with quilts and have sold off any sleeping bags I owned. I just placed an order for a 0* Long/Xtra Wide from Enlightened Equipment for winter camping.

Lindsey Sommer
    Spectator

@lgsommer

I have spent so many years looking at threads about side sleepers! I am also a restless sleeper who basically spends all night rolling around. I'm currently using one of the new NEMO spoon shaped bags, and I like it overall because I can bend my legs more in the bag. That being said, I'm about to make the transition to a quilt because even the NEMO bag gets a bit tangled, and sometimes I think the whole headpiece is lost on me…

My new system is going to be a Hammock Gear quilt + occasional montbell thermawrap pants + occasional down jacket (which I carry anyways). I also get up alot at night, so for cold times, I think the extra layers might be good anyways.

And for nights that aren't below freezing, I think I'll enjoy the freedom of NOT being trapped in a bag :)

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Used the Big Sky pillow on a recent seven night trip. On the last night, I had a "well, duh!" moment that made a big difference.

Old procedure: Set up camp, inflate pillow, make dinner, stare at stars, go to bed a couple hours later. The pillow is not thick enough for side sleeping, so I pile clothing on top if available. Clothing slips off, I wake up to readjust. Lather, rinse, repeat.

New procedure: Same as above, but add more air just before going to sleep. Pillow thickness is perfect, no need for clothing. I sleep much better.

Why? You inflate the pillow with nice warm air from your lungs. Then that air cools down to ambient temperature in a couple of hours. The air inside shrinks, and the pillow is skinnier. Top it off after the air inside the pillow cools down, problem solved.

Hope this helps someone else using an inflatable pillow.

— Rex

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Side sleeper, wake up every time I turn over. FF Vireo was the answer for me. Tried the Palisade, didn't care for the attachment system (odd I know), got tired of the drafts or having to tuck after every turn over. The Vireo is always there, no mental awareness needed or job after every turn over. Feet are warmer with the Vireo. I guess the Vireo is narrow in the legs and feet, but I do just great with it. 18oz with some overfill in the upper half. So much better than having a hood, as I use either a Black Rock hat or a Goosefeet hood.

Using the Klimit X pillow; nice thickness if half inflated with a light down jacket on top. Or no jacket and a hard inflated thing under your head. A choice!

Steve

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I echo Steve's recommendation of a custom Vireo. I love mine, with 5oz of overfill has proven comfortable down to 18 degrees in my merino sleep cloths alone and weights 22oz. Here is a BPL link for information on customizing a Vireo:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73812

I also am using a 30 degree Zpacks bag for warmer weather, with the long zipper giving me the option of using it as quilt or as a bag. I pair both with a Goosefeet Down balaclava and down booties.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools