Topic

Your Repair Kit Contents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your Repair Kit Contents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

"Other than tape…"

Well since that's the rider, I guess no, not really, but I don't have much besides a couple safety pins and some thread wrapped around cardboard with a needle, eyeglass screws and a magnifying lens.

Superglue seems like a disaster waiting to happen and zip ties never did it for me.

I figure I should be able to stitch or tie up most anything with either thread or the 100' of 1.25mm Z-line I carry for multi-use cordage. A knife and my Leatherman Squirt don't really qualify as "repair" items for me, since I use them for so many other things.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

Let’s see –

I've made good use of my sewing kit several times over the years to sew buttons back on me britches and sometimes my shirt. On a cycle tour my partner sewed up a rip in his shirt using my sewing kit which was better than the "hotel" type he carried. On short tips this isn’t a big deal but on long trips it is a drag to be missing buttons on yer pants.

I've used tape to cover holes in a down jacket, and to tape interesting stuff into my journal.

Once or twice I've repaired a hole in thermarest mattress. To work properly these things have to hold air, so this bit of kit is essential.

On my very last trip I needed to pull out my book of paper matches when my lighter was too cold to work one morning.

The tiny mirror in the Silva compass has gotten used by my wife many times fiddling with her contacts, and once on a canoe trip I actually dug it out and took a bearing!

I can’t think of anything interesting or exciting that I’ve done with the spare cord, but it is certainly the most versatile and essential bit of kit in my mind.

I can’t recall ever using the trioxane bar for emergency fire starting, but I carry it anyway. If I’m having trouble starting a fire or everything is wet and my wife doesn’t want to wait for me to play backwoodsman and split dry kindling from a dead old growth tree trunk with my tiny pocket knife, she simply pulls a wax and sawdust fire starter out of her pack and is done with it!

So, I carry just what I’ve found useful over the years, and that trioxane bar so I know that no matter what I can get a fire going.

I can remember a few repairs I made over the years that really saved the day!
    Eleven years ago my wife and I went on a canoe trip of the Bowron circuit up in Canada.
    About halfway through the trip we came across a father and daughter from California that were having a tough time of it, and shared a cabin one night with them.
    It was raining almost every day and all they had was that real cheap vinyl rain suits that were in tatters, and their MSR Whisperlight stove had clogged up and ceased working. The daughter was just about in tears and at the end of her endurance.

My wife and the daughter spread out their tattered rain garments on the floor of the cabin and put them back together with our small roll of tape ( intended for emergency canoe repairs ) and I dug out my MSR Whisperlight kit and replaced the jet in their stove. We spent a pleasant night together with lots of hot food and the next day they set out with renewed spirits, rain gear than might just last a few more days and a working stove, which really helps!

Anyone else ever “save the day” with yer repair kit?

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

A year ago, I was searching online for an old friend I had lost touch with. He hasn't left much of an internet trail, but I found an article about a man who was hiking the AT with a prosthetic leg that broke, so the man was lying by the side of the trail unable to move. My friend came along (he was hiking the AT with his wife and 3 kids) and used duct tape and trekking poles to splint the man's artificial leg back together and walk him to town so he could get a new limb sent to him and finish the trail.

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Locale: SoCal

Hi Diane, I wrote a short post on my site about Krazy Glue and why I now carry it in my kit. The short answer: shoe repair. Check it out here>>

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Watch all Mike's videos but especially All the DINKY stuff, Part ONE and All the DINKY stuff, Part TWO.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I am noticing a trend: zip ties?

Is there some utility they offer that a small cut piece of rope and a good knot might not? I guess their weight?

thanks much,

Matt

M Blick

@mattblick

Locale: Ohio

I haven't seen this listed in any of the above posts: you can get it for free, it weighs 5g and can be used for repair, first aid, and emergency tinder;

*a set of disposable chopsticks

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

^^ OOH! That is a good one!

KJ

robert van putten

@bawana

Matt,
    I was thinking the very same thing about zip ties…

Kids can't tie knots anymore :)

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Solution! "What Knot to Do in the Great Outdoors" phone app from Columbia! FREE!!

HTH

KJ

robert van putten

@bawana

Ye Gods and Little Fishes!

Reminds me of my nephews….
    They don't bring flashlights camping because "We got our phones.."
    I kid you not!

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools