Topic

GGG Whatcha Bringing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips GGG Whatcha Bringing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I have a copy of it on DVD that I can bring if you want. Last thing I want to do is watch a movie all about the snow and mountains when it is dark and cold :-D"

I was gonna bring Dead Snow!

Can't use a DVD – my iPod is the projector – I can only use digital files that I already have loaded or on someone else's iPod or iPhone prior to 5 (old 30-pin connector).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have Club Paradise on my iPod. It's set in the tropics, John.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Lets see, what shall I bring?

Oh yeah,

Borahgear Stealth backpack
    Borahgami original (wings opposite sides)
    Borahgami (wings same side)
    Borahgami "THE BIG ONE" fits 3 or more people plus gear depending on what size they are. LOL
    10×10 flat tarp set up like the D&D 3×3 meter configuration.
    5×9 flat tarp with extra pull outs for multi pitches
    Borah gear down pants
    Borah gear down vest (lightest on the market)
    Borah gear E-vent bivy
    Borah gear wide long bivy with M-90 top and 30-d silnylon bottom
    MYOG pillow with Nobul 1 and syn. filling
    MYOG quilt with 5.0 Apex, Argon for the top material and Nobul 1 for the inside extra long 6' 8"
    Hopefully I'll have my proto type backpack ready to bring, it will be a multi use pack i.e.. It will be a pack, a sleeping pad, bivy, rain cover all in one, 1,800-2000 cu. in.

Plus my usual array of MYOG.

@ Ken I have some things I can bring for the younger group to make their own solar camp lights, I just need to know the head count and check my stock.

It will be an easy project to do and they will have a memento to take home with them that they can also use as a night light at home or hiking.

Jack

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

It would see I do not own a single piece of gear from Bora Gear… that's pretty messed up. Any discount on a pair of down pants delivered to the GGG?? 10d, medium. 34 inseam, 1.5 extra fill to help with loft for the extra inseam length (??)

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

"We will have a Lunar Solo at the GGG along with several new and revised
    shelters. Plus our new pack lineup.

Thanks,
    Ron"

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Hi Ryan, looking forward to meeting you. The group at the GGG is one of the most welcoming and friendly bunch of folks you'll ever meet, who happen to be among the most serious gear geeks and outdoor enthusiasts you'll ever meet. You'll be in cottage and MYOG heaven.

I have a film Ms. EJ and I made of a recent GGG that I think you'll enjoy and which will give you some flavor – will post the link here later this evening.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

Is someone trying to do a movie projector and screen to the GGG?

If so, I have a Blu-ray copy of Mile….Mile & a Half, which is JMT documentary that just came out covering a group's 2011 JMT trip in July….lots of snow and sunny shots.

Highly recommend the movie, if no one has seen it.

Link to trailers to the movie:

http://themuirproject.com/mmah/videos/

By the way, with the 2nd site and up to 100 people coming, did you want me to grab some more name tags?

Any idea of how many kids/young people coming out this year?

Jack@ Looking forward to seeing you….are you going to be officially representing Borah this year??? I will be bringing my family for the 1st time. Have my 10 yr old daughter coming…if that helps with the head count on kids.

Tony

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Hey John, I went with the Kestrel 3500NV. But yes, it's coming to the GGG (as long as it arrives in time, fingers crossed).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Is someone trying to do a movie projector and screen to the GGG?"

Me. But it's a 'lightweight' pico projector and tyvek screen – it doesn't play/use physical media (DVDs and Blu Ray discs, etc.). It attaches to my iPod, which has the movies. Again, I don't really expect anyone to actually watch a movie, I'm bringing it as a bit of a lark to show those interested how light one can bring movies on a camping trip.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I would like to check that out Doug. A movie out in the middle of no where sounds good for kids.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Tony, might as well be safe and bring some more tags. Sharpies I have. Only a handful of kids this time. M&M's girls, James' two, Kevin's son and yours. I think that's all.

Good thing it is a short ride/hike in for Jack with all that stuff.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

I will make sure that I get some more…if their are extras, we can use them next year.

As for kids….at least there are going to be some.

Looking forward to showing the family the fun madness that the GGG is…..will be good to see you too.

Tony

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Ryan, maybe this will make you feel better: This is a little valentine Ms. EJ and I put together for all the wonderful friends we’ve made, the many helpful things we’ve learned and the amazingly creative gear makers we’ve met.

http://vimeo.com/36630858

For those sitting on the fence about coming to the GGG, don’t be shy – you’ll have a great time and learn a lot.

Backpackers Gone Wild: BPL 3rd Annual SF Bay Area Gathering of Gear Geeks (GGG) 2011

Some memorable moments:

-The Gear Stove Boil-Off – WARNING this gets HOT!
    -What happens in Coe stays in Coe and things that go bump in the night
    -How Tony makes it through a cold lonely night
    -Richard Nisley guest interview
    -Styrofoam snow and picnicking BPL style
    -What lightweight backpackers really sound like
    -Debbie’s first place win for shared item
    -The next Backpackers Gone Wild casting event

[NOTE – the 2011 trip was in January not February]

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

If someone has a ZPacks Hammock Tarp with Doors, I'd love to take a look at it. I'm contemplating getting one for hammock and ground use so I'd like to see the coverage in "ground mode".

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"If someone has a ZPacks Hammock Tarp with Doors, I'd love to take a look at it."

I'll have mine, you can mess with it during the day (it'll be over my hammock at night!)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Greetings,

I'm getting excited for the GGG and look forward to meeting everyone there.

There are a few items I'd like to see if anyone is or could bring them:

MLD Burn
    GG Murmur and Kumo
    MLD Duo Mid

For the benefit of letting me gaze upon said items, I'd gladly repay you with cup of cowboy coffee or a GGG interpretive dance.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"MLD Duo Mid"

Don't have that, but have an UltaMid 2 I could bring, though I'm assuming of the 100 people who will be there, someone is bound to have one. Let me know quickly, as I plan on mailing out a box tomorrow, and if I brought the UltaMid it would be in that box.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for the kind offer Doug. I recently received a Mega Light from my lovely bride which seems fairly comparable to that shelter other than material and weight. Don't bring it on my account.

I was curious to see how well I'd fit in the Duo Mid with the pole offset and sleeping diagonally.

I've said this before but you could charge admission for people to drool over your gear shed.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ian,

I'm bringing a cuben DuoMid and if I have extra space, I'll throw in my Burn.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I've said this before but you could charge admission for people to drool over your gear shed."

I really don't have that much anymore – I finally figured out what worked for me and downsized quite a bit.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks Steven. Greatly appreciated.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

I've got the "BPH" gear covered. Hahahaha

I'm still working on my lighter kit, so let's just say I'll be bringing a "4 season" gear set-up if anyone wants to check it out:

Hilleberg Soulo tent
    Kifaru Late Season pack
    Promaster XCS522 tripod and head

My gear probably won't be of much interest to most folks, but the tripod really might be to some. At 2.5 lbs with the head it's definitely not ultralight, but you'd have a hard time finding a more stable and compact set-up for the weight. I'll also have my Sigma DP2 Merrill for anyone to check out, but no computer to check out the files at a big size.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Warm clothes for standing around at night without a campfire.

Got the call from Coe that a campfire ban is in effect due to dry conditions. No campfires, no charcoal fires. Stoves OK. Did not ask about Esbit and alcohol.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Since there's no fires, I'm leaving the Lone Peak and WiFi stove behind. No real sense in bringing it if we can have a fire.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools