Topic

GGG Whatcha Bringing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips GGG Whatcha Bringing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Have something new or old that you want to show off?

Have something in mind that you would love to see in real life?

This is the thread for that.

I just bought a Lunar Solo LE and will bring that along.

Looking forward to seeing what Ron and Brian have been up to.

John Abela will be bringing this stuff

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Good morning Ken. I'll bring a few old stoves, some for the CG the first night and a few to pack in. If HJ wants to see the 11 Explorer, he'll have to see it at the TH parking.
    I have a EE 30F Enigma quilt and will get a ZPacks 10F bag the week before GGG. Depending on the forecast, will decide which to bring and if I can get over the Sierra. Not rich, just no bills/mortgage.
    I'd like to see some shelters that go under 12 oz. with tent pole if anyone has that light of a system. Lightest I can come up with is around 10-11 oz. and not sure I'd be good to go in a good windy, rain storm. I may have my goal set too high, but I'll never get there if I don't set an expectation.
    Duane

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Ken that's exactly one of the shelters I wanted to see : )

John, great list, looking forward to checking out your pack among other things.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Planning on bringing my Ruta Locura Lone Peak and WiFi stove. I might not sleep in it, might bring my hammock for that (there are plenty of places to hang, right?). Also thought I might bring my UL movie projector setup for kicks – though I don't expect anyone to actually watch a full movie (campfire talk is what the GGG is all about), but I could set it up so folks could see the quality of picture, and other folks could carp and whine about how such things don't belong in the woods (won't bring if it's slated to rain the entire time). Will also bring my EE Enigma quilt system. I'll bring all three pieces, even if I don't need them all for the temps.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Really looking forward to seeing that SMD Luno SE!!

And hoping SMD can unveil their backpack this year too. Anybody have insights on that??

@Duane

I will bring the ZPacks Hexamid Pocket as my primary shelter, and while I had not planned too, I can bring my 80g tarp so you can see what things are like at the lower end of the sub-12 oz tarps.

@Doug

A projector would be awesome. Bring The Wizards of the PCT and I am sure that will go over good. One of the best of the best. Fun & Funny!!

@EJ,

You are welcome to throw on my pack, load it up with some water and food and whatnot and get a good heavy load it in, and take it for a walk. My Arc is the first-gen so it does not have the top cross bar, but I highly doubt that would be an issue for you. My Zero is made with the hybrid (in orange) so its heavier and tougher than a standard zero, but it is the x-small (1,000 cubic inches / 16.4 liters) and I have ~100 days of use on it so far.

Any of you guys bring the EE quilts happen to be bringing the new version with the new baffle system?? If so, please be sure to grab me and drag me over to your tent so I can see it!!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Any of you guys bring the EE quilts happen to be bringing the new version with the new baffle system??"

Yes, that's the Enigma, I'll have mine.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Those of you that are wood-burners, I have the Suluk46 TDW Stove and the Suluk46 LCT that I had not planned on bringing, but if anybody out there wants to see either/both of them, let me know and I can throw them into my pack.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hey John, did you get my PM?

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

@Doug, I do not think so. Pretty sure I am all caught up on all PM's and HL emails. contact me.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I don't own gear which is all that psychedelic but I'm bringing:

BD Mega Light
    ULA Ohm 2.0 L/L
    Lite Trail Solid Fuel Kit
    Backcountry Boiler

Gear staying behind unless I receive notification that someone wants to see it:

Hexamid Twin
    TD Sidewinder paired with Evernew 600ml
    Olicamp XTS & Soto ODR

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thanks for your video John. I'll be picking yours and others brains about tarps and SUL shelters.
    Duane

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Recently moved from Denver where I fly-fished all the time, but had only heard of tenkara in passing and wasn't into UL backpacking then. Now that I've move to CA (where traditional trout fly-fishing is not what it was in CO), and gotten into UL backpacking (which traditional fly-fishing is too heavy for), I would love to see the rod, reel, line, flies, etc that go along w/ this very interesting minimalist form of fly-fishing.

Also super interested in people's MYOG whatever. Stoves, clothes, tarps, cat cans, sandals, etc. I've always been a crafty/builder type person, find manufacturing very interesting and very quickly gravitated to MYOG when I discovered UL backpacking. I'll bring all the bits and pieces I've made so far, though none are too impressive I fear.

Which brings me to my last note, I'm very new to UL backpacking, BPL and the GGG (will be first time!). As I read thru the various comments about the weekend, and having read thru lots of the general forum, there is a very palpable sense of "you get what you give". Free-loaders and lurkers are frowned upon, people who don't "contribute to the discussion" are seen as not pulling their weight. As a newbie who is still learning at lightspeed, this gives me a not insignificant feeling of despair that I don't have anything to contribute BACK to other members, or to an event like GGG. Any ADVICE on what someone in my position could do to contribute? I live in the Bay Area and will likely be driving, so anyone need a ride or pickup from airport? I've always been a "behind the scenes helper" so will certainly volunteer for whatever setup/cleanup there is, etc? In discussions, I don't post much because I feel like everyone else has already said what I would, or I don't have any expertise to lend yet. Not sure if much more than time can remedy that.

Thanks all and looking forward to a very cool weekend!
    RYAN

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Dont get worried, I'll only know a few people here and only one I've met face to face. A few others via forums like HJ, a stovie guru.
    Duane

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

No worries Ryan, it's been very easy to meet people at the last few GGG's. Everyone I've met has been very friendly. Just put on a name tag and start asking people about their gear and you'll have plenty to talk about.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Any ADVICE on what someone in my position could do to contribute?"

Bring booze. Good booze, no cheap stuff. And laugh at my jokes around the campfire, even though most of them won't be funny, partially because I drank a bunch of your booze…..

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I will set up trail cameras everywhere to catch Idester doing whatever he thinks he can get away with.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ryan,

Thanks for posting and I am sorry that you have a sense that "free-loaders and lurkers" are frowned upon.

I assure you, that is not the case at the GGG…and to a greater hope, I would like to think that it is not the attitude of many people on BPL.

I have been one of the biggest lurkers and free loaders for sure!

One of the great things that I have seen over the past 2 yrs at the GGG is a woman named Jane….she came out with traditional gear and had just recently gotten into or back into backpacking. (Jane is an older woman and my hero as I hope that I will be on the trail backpacking when I am her age).

Anyway, she came out, asked a bunch fo question and simply checked out the gear and talked to people.

Each year that she has come out, her setup has gotten lighter and lighter…and she is a joy talk to.

Point of it is this….none of us is born a lightweight, sub 10 lb backpacker.

We ALL have to start somewhere and I think that the GGG is simply about people who love the outdoors/backpacking and what to meet other people who HAPPEN to be Lightweight/UL backpackers.

Maybe, in the near future, you will be someone who will be on the forums or at a future GGG and "giving back" to the community by passing along your Lightweight backpacking advice to someone who is new to the craziness that is Ultralight backpackng.

So PLEASE don't feel intimidated by your perceived lack of UL knowledge or even backpacking experience.

This is just about having some FUN, meeting some good people, and checking out the UL gear that people have….which might give you some creative thoughts for where your UL evolution/journey is going to take you.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Edit: P.S. If the weather is good, I am going to bring my child to the GGG for show and tell. :)

Tony

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Thanks, Tony, for your kind comments. Many people here and at previous GGGs have answered lots of questions, offered advice and shown me their gear and even how to use my own gear. Ryan, I still feel like I can't add to many discussions of gear because it's all been said by more experienced backpackers but I still continue to read regularly and learn, learn, learn. Yes, ask questions, at the GGG ask to see gear and how it's set up or how it works. Ask if someone can help you improve how your gear is used, etc.
    One advantage I do have as I approach 72-if I can set it up, use it, have a successful trip with a piece of gear, clothing, etc. then others know that THEY can almost certainly do it as well or better. Last summer while hiking on the Rae Lakes Loop a couple of us LOLs got comments from people who couldn't believe we were using such light gear, using cuben tents, etc. It was a great opportunity to share with them about BPL, specific gear and answer the often asked, "Well, I shouldn't ask, but, how OLD are you?" It gives them encouragement to lighten their load so they can keep getting out on the trails into their 70's or older.
    You'll find lots of friendly people at GGG. Last year I happened to set up my Hexamid Solo next to John Abela's latest tarp or tent. It must have pained him to see that I didn't have a perfect, taut set-up so he very diplomatically offered a couple of suggestions on how to improve it. Great! That's always helpful. Then I got to check out his latest gear.
    So, ask, walk around all the tents/tarps, check out the packs, stoves and, most of all, talk with friendly people.
    Tony, see you soon. Need to ask you and others about the many ways to use my new Sawyer Mini.
    Tomorrow I meet with three older women and we'll calendar and do preliminary planning for our 3-4 backpack trips for 2014. My husband and I have a one week trip planned, too. Lucky me!!
    Jane

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks you two! Beautiful answers from both Tony and Jane. I can't wait! Ryan. Bring a good attitude and you'll have a great time. We've got 80-100 showing up this time around. No two set ups the same.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I'm thinking that our group size might overwhelm the water supply that we drive into camp. If everyone could pack in a liter or two for themselves this will be much appreciated.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Thanks to all for the encouragement :) Feeling much less apprehensive at this point and very excited to meet a lot of people and see tons of gear on display! As stated, I've been most interested in the MYOG, UltraLight/UltraCheap ideas, so will make sure to bring some things i've made…
    -a couple stove/stand/caldera-cone setups
    -a polycro, tape-reinforced tarp w/ mason cord lines
    -ziploc bag "platypus"
    -100's mini-ziplocs (1"x1"-ish)
    -hiking poles modified from $2 thrift store cross-country ski poles

See you all there!

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Can't wait for the GGG! Really excited to meet everyone and check out all the gear :)

Things I'll be bringing that may be of interest:

-HMG Echo 2 tarp and beak
    -YMG bug shelter 1.25 (custom dimensions)
    -Trimmed NeoAir Xlite
    -MYOG 1/8" ccf padded groundsheet
    -My sawyer/platy filter setup
    -weather meter (maybe)
    -Mont Bell alpine light parka
    -Mont Bell Ti cookware

I'll update this list if I think of anything else.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"A projector would be awesome. Bring The Wizards of the PCT and I am sure that will go over good. One of the best of the best. Fun & Funny!!"

I don't have that one, but I do have The Cairngorms in Winter with Chris Townsend.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I know this is going to disappoint a lot of people, but I just found out my 500-count order of "Doug Ide Bobble Head Dolls" won't be shipped in time for me to bring them to the GGG.

There were some serious quality control issues. They couldn't get the anatomy to scale. I'll say no more.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

>>>Erik G: winter meter

If by that you mean a Kestrel Meter 4500 Weather Meter… than yes, please bring it!!

>>>Doug: Wizards of the PCT

I have a copy of it on DVD that I can bring if you want. Last thing I want to do is watch a movie all about the snow and mountains when it is dark and cold :-D

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools