Topic

exped VS supershelter ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) exped VS supershelter ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Locale: Red Neck Riviera

hey guys, I am wondering what would be the best option here..getting the exped down mat or going with the HH SS system for bottom insulation,/ also what are some of your thoughts on redledge rain gear.I picked up a real nice pair of thunderlight,fully taped,got them dirt cheap,brand new.thanks

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

Well, I can't speak for the Redledge stuff, but I am a HH hammock user with an exped. I recently spent a week on the trail in the Wind River range, and because I wasn't certain I'd always be in ideal hanging situations, I took the exped along. I indeed spent 2 days on the ground, and was exceedingly happy to have the exped. You give up a lot of weight over the SS system, but gain the ability to go to ground.

My hammock set-up uses a JRB quilt set as well, so I was only using the exped for situations where I went to ground, or partially inflated in temps below 50 or so.

I think if you check out the forums over at http://www.hammockforums.net you'll find extensive discussions on the practical use of the SS system. Reviews seem to be mixed. A lot of folks over there use the exped as either a go-to-ground option, or as their primary bottom insulation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've used the SS with pretty good results, but I always take a light backup pad and maybe SPE for either extreme cold or mainly in case I have to go to ground. I kinda had to figure out how to make the SS work to full effiency. Particularly how to add extra clothing or trashbag with space blanket or leaves/whatever to the undercover to make it work into low 20s. Ironically(sp?), my first use was also in the Wind Rivers for one week in Sept. First use of both hammock and SS. I had to go to ground one night at Texas Lake- zero trees and no hardware to hang from rocks. But on the much more comfy hanging nights, I slept fine with just the basic SS and space blanket, nothing else, in the mid 30s lower 40s.

Hammockforums will have lots of discussion on the SS pros and cons. One fellow over there describes using a Gos Gear thinlight pad on top of the HH pad with great success.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A standard pad isn't wide enough for hammock use because it doesn't take care of the sides. Try the Gossamer Gear pad in combo with the Supershelter. Might be a good setup and definitely cheaper than the Jacks R Better Nest (a warmer option in my experience).

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Since I now carry two open-cell-foam "underpads", that provides at least a little cushioning and thermal boost if I have to go to ground. The backpadding for my Mariposa Plus backpack is a torso-length pad, so combining those I'm sure I can go to ground when I need to. Living in western Washington state, I pretty much never need to, however!

I guess that's one (very minor) advantage of the supershelter system over an underquilt (JRB nest or whatever). It's still a bulky and heavy solution, and open celled foam isn't that useful when you compress it on the ground but … it's still something.

I have no experience with an exped. I use the lightest available 3/4 length thermarest when I'm in a tent.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Way back when, the thunderlight parka was my first rain jacket for bp'ing. The fabric is very poorly breathable (eVent has spoiled me), but the excellent design and ventilation options make it a good all-around choice. Very often i recommend it to those on a tight budget, if they don't like poncho-tarps. I definitely prefer RL to Frogg Toggs and other budget options i've seen.

EDIT: on second glance it seems you might be talking about RLs rain pants? i have those too, but for a thru-hike these are pretty heavy, maybe overkill considering many carry no rain pants at all, or silnylon pants/chaps, etc. YMMV.

Don (Biloxi) Carter

@donjuan70

Locale: Red Neck Riviera

thanks for feedback..actualy I picked up the jacket and pants..new with tags for like 25.00 shipping also.they appear very nicely made full leg zip,velcro closures.thin poly linning.not realy that heavy.though I have not weighed them of yet.but for years I have been useing a baxter state parka from ll.bean that I took the liner out of.and these appear lighter..definatly more packable..as for the pants they would be good for winter or cold/rain conditions..so they may come in handy at some point..they also came in induvidual stuff sacks..7inx2.5in.I will give em a try to see..if not I really dont have much invested.the tags said 50.00 ea so I figure I saved bout 75.00 to test..lol thanks for input

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

I just started hammocking this spring. I got a SS the same time as I ordered my Hyperlight. I've already switched to a JRB Nest and probably won't use the SS again.

If you decide that's your best solution (check hammockforums.com for a lot of great input), let me know and I'd be happy to sell you mine at cost — and cost is less than retail (mine had a blemish and I got it from HH for a discount). I never used it in the field; only at home one night.

PM me if you're interested.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools