Topic

UL Bike air travel bag options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL Bike air travel bag options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Hey all,

I'm putting together a combination bike tour/backpacking trip, where I'll be flying a few different legs. I want to avoid the bike fees by breaking my bike down small enough so that it'll fit in a bag and pass for standard luggage.

My question is, is anyone aware of a large capacity, no-frills bag that would fit a disassembled mountain bike, be durable enough for multiple trips, but light enough for carrying on a bike tour?

I've travelled by bike/plane before and just finding bike boxes and getting them to the airport can be quite a hassle and expense, on top of the fees, so I'm thinking this may make sense.

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

1.2 kg, folds to A4 sized package – small enough to post to your departure point if that's feasible. Haven't used this yet, but certainly considering it for trips where this is a possibility.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/BAG/BOD/

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Soft-side or hard-side?

http://www.montaguebikes.com/assets/images/carrying_case.jpg
    Soft Carrying Case
    Montague's soft-sided bicycle carrying case, made of 420 Denier nylon, provides great protection at an affordable price. The carrying case features an inner pocket for the front wheel, a direct mount shoulder strap, two side handles, double-layered nylon bottom and the heaviest YKK zipper available. Dimensions: 36"x28"x12". $99.95

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

There is a lady from Germany , trail name is "German Tourist" who hikes and has biked all over the world. If you can locate her online she might have good options.

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Thanks for your help all. The ground effect bags look really promising. I think the montague bags only fit their folding bikes. I emailed Christine and will report back if she answers. Thanks!

Benjamin Kelley
    BPL Member

@benjamin-kelley

Locale: Midwest

I wonder if the ground effects bag will fit a Surly Disc Trucker frame. I've been looking for a light bag for a while.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I want to avoid the bike fees by breaking my bike down small enough so that it'll fit in a bag and pass for standard luggage."

Is that even possible with a standard bike frame?

"Standard Luggage" cannot exceed 62" combined inches (length + width + height).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools