Topic

I say let’s decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion I say let’s decide on a general consensus of Ultralight definitions and terms.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 151 through 157 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Okay – I see what you are saying. But then that would go back to the 'in shape' comment. Adding 30lbs of fat is going to wreak havock on the ability to hike with the higher baseweight.

Ah well, who knows. Suggestions, suggestions.

I only know this, and I suspect we can agree: being in reasonable shape helps to trump whatever load you are carrying.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

For the record…

When my fat @$$ is putting in 20 miles days on the trail carrying a 20lb pack, the last thing on my mind is "Oh dear… the BPL peanut gallery won't ever approve of my extra tonnage… goodness gracious."

But this thread has inspired me to create a new classification of hikers. Due to the high level of sophistication of some of you members, and your greatly appreciated unsolicited opinions about crap that is 100% none of your business, I propose the following:

Debonair Backpackers Against Gigantic Ultra Lighters or D-BAG UL for short.

(drops microphone and walks off stage)

David Ure

@familyguy

"Oh dear… the BPL peanut gallery won't ever approve of my extra tonnage… goodness gracious."

It should be. May I direct you to the Drone thread? We are watching you.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"It should be. May I direct you to the Drone thread? We are watching you."

That was you!?! :)

Larry Swearingen
    BPL Member

@larry_swearingen

Locale: NE Indiana

What kind of Moron would put on 20 lbs just so they could fit into
    an arbritary SUL/UL Category ?

Larry

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"What kind of Moron would put on 20 lbs just so they could fit into
    an arbritary SUL/UL Category ?"

What kind of moron would spend an extra $200+ to save 5oz?

What kind of moron is willing to potentially suffer through giardia and tapeworms because they don't have five minutes to filter water?

What kind of moron would take time out of their day to drill holes in their toothbrush handle?

Welcome to the lunatic fringe Larry.

(FWIW this moron has done all those things)

EDIT TO ADD: (although the extra tonnage was through an effort to live up to certain professional stereotypes)

Brian Crain
    Spectator

@brcrain

Locale: So Cal

"Debonair Backpackers Against Gigantic Ultra Lighters or D-BAG UL for short.

(drops microphone and walks off stage)"

LOL!

Viewing 7 posts - 151 through 157 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools