Topic

First MYOG quilt questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First MYOG quilt questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    john parker
    BPL Member

@orclwzrd

Locale: Illinois

First if the answer is just in another thread send me the link.

I'm looking to build an APEX quilt. Mostly 3 season so 20-30 degrees will be fine. I only find OWFINC and Thru Hiker carrying APEX. are there other sources?

I mostly tarp camp inside a GoLite Nest 1. What would be good fabric choices? M90? M50? other?

Quilting APEX. it appears that folks do not "quilt" APEX to hold it in place. Looks like most sew it to the edge or just leave it float. any additional advice?

Size/shape? looks like most folks go with just under 60 inches at the shoulder and taper to around 48 inches. I'm leaning toward a drawstring footbox with omnitape to close the back.

Last question. Any other advice? I've read several threads on Andy's quilt and Jamie and others. just fishing here!

Thanks so much in advance for what I'm sure will be awesome answers!

feel free to email me at orclwzrd at yahoo dot com

John

Nathan Custer

@nastynate

Locale: Tennessee

I've made 2 apex quilts. Those are the 2 main places to get apex. I haven't seen the point of $10/yd fabric for an apex quilt. But I'd imagine m90 or Argon would be nice. I used 1.1 2nds from diy gear supply. I matched EE's dimensions and went with half taper. I prefer a zipper over omni tape after making one of each. No need to quilt the apex. Just perimeter sew all but about 12", then turn right side out and finish.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

**EDIT** Just noticed you said you've airway read my MYOG thread and others! Sorry! Hope I wasn't coming off as rude or whatnot! I was just too lazy to go find my link (all this is being written on my phone)

From my experience, as a warm sleeper, I was perfectly warm at freezing with just a single layer of 5.0 Apex (from thru hiker), Synmat UL7, and just 200wt wool base layers and 100wt fleece beanie. I was in a Tarptent Double Rainbow, with ~30 mph winds whipping by all night.

I know I can take it into the twenty's by throwing on the layers/puffies I bring with me at those temps. I think this gives the best versatility/range of temps, rather than having a bulky synthetic quilt rated for 20-30, have a quilt rated 30-40 and supplement with clothes that'll be worn around camp for warmth.

And yes, you only need to sew the perimeter. No need to stabilize like you would for Primaloft One, etc.

My quilt with straps comes in at 24oz.

If you're not as warm bodied, I'd either get the 6.0 from OWF or do a 5.0 & a layer of 2 or 2.5 over just the torso or the whole thing. But 7.5 total will be quite bulky.

I mentioned in my post that I didn't add anything to finish closing the bottom other than tying the cord, but I have since added a few snaps along the last 12" or so to keep it closed better. If I were to do it again, I'd use a ~18-24" separating zipper at the bottom/legs.

The quilt strap system really is the bee's knees. I have a video link posted somewhere here in the forum, I think, of it in action. I can dig up the youtube link for you if its hard to find. You can also search "quilt strap system" or the like on youtube and should be able to see me rolling around in it.

As far as fabric goes, since you'll be tarp camping, maybe something with some good DWR on the outside fabric, and softer/cheaper on the inside, like some 2nds ripstop.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I used 2.5 and M90 from thru-hiker. i used the Sin50 pattern with the newspaper sewing trick.

yes perimeter sewing is all you need.

i used a drawstring and velcro for the footbox and just added a small sew on snap at the top of the zipper to keep it closed better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can get nobul 1, which weighs .67 oz/yd2 at titanium goat for 7.50 per yd. I think its fairly reasonable for a ul fabric and with something heavier like Apex, why not save a little weight?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'm making one this week, and I'm using Argon for the top material and Nobul 1for the inside.
    I'll let you know the weight later this week.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Just finished my 5.0 Apex quilt.

It has a draw cord foot box, 4 snaps from the foot box up to about the thigh, then I sewed 3 cord lock/strap adjusters from the thigh to the shoulder, and 1 snap at the very top to snap around the head, no draw string on the head end for this one I left it off.

Finished weight 22.3 oz This is a fairly large quilt, it could probably be made shorter and the weight would probably come in around the 16 oz mark.

With me inside and the foot box drawn up I have approx. 3-4" past my head, ( I'm 5'9" tall) laying flat on the table with the foot box still in the drawn position it measures 6' 8" long.

I'll try and post pictures later this week.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jack,

What's the width? Also, what feels better to you, the argon or the nobul?

How come you made it so long?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools