Topic

user reviews? Trail Designs simmer rings for 12-10 stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) user reviews? Trail Designs simmer rings for 12-10 stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Who has used Trail Designs simmer rings for 12-10 stove? …. care to share your experiences?

I HAVE seen Bob Shaver's blog posting about a prototype … or maybe better called a proof of concept since the production model is quite different.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

BUMP

I've been a FBCer for several years and a caldera cone user for a couple of them … but have been lately tempted by recipes that ask for simmering

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

If Mags had noticed my question he might have replied "Use da google, jim"

a 26 minute ramble containing timing and fuel use info

2 minutes showing result of a steam baking test

OK, early in the new year's day three and the "less new gear" resolution takes a hit:-}

edit: I should have known that Rand doesn't bring a product to market without proven performance.

disclaimer: this is starting to look like an ad … my only relationship with traildesigns is as a customer.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, I haven't used the Trail Designs one. I made one several years ago out of some aluminum foil, though. Like the older BrassLite stoves, shutting off the vents really helps to cut down heat output. Generally around 20-30 minutes burn time compared to 12 minute burn times. No, it doesn't save any real quantity of fuel, maybe a gram or two under some conditions (higher environmental temps.)

I also played with another one made from a ring of a soda can. Make the ring, then cut it seems to work pretty good.

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi,
    did not use any of TD simmer rings but I found this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItJIpCxUfkk

which can be easy way to find out if simmer ring works. I've used 12-10 to drybake a muffin
    with foil cup on top of it as simmering device

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=38274

Cheers

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I too found a ring cut out of a soda can works fine for the 12-10 stove. I posted pictures and a review on BPL some place many years ago. The ring weighed one or two grams.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools