Topic

IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Do Like.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Roger, no air bubbles in the tape, flattened them to the max.

I used a very small flame under the mug. I followed your directions with the exception of mug size. I used the 10cm. At this point I have to strongly suggest that this tape not be used on 10cm mug handles. There is no insulating quality about this tape. There might be some tiny air pockets between the threads of the fiberglass. The aluminum we see is conforming to the warp and weft of the fiberglass cloth that makes it look corrugated. The look of corrugation may also be due to the manufacturing process to make the tape be able to be formed into a roll, it needs to be able to flex. It's not corrugated.

On two of the burn tests I offset the pot so the burner was farther away from the handle.

On the first test, the rising heat cause the adhesive layer to de-laminate from the fiberglass cloth by 1/2 inch. The 2nd test 1 inch and by the third is shown in the photo. The tape double sided tape used in the construction of the tape stuck to the handle and the fiberglass became detached.

photo InsulatingTape004_zps2e5c371f.jpg

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

I think what Roger may be saying (not certain) is that air pockets, possibly designed into the tape, help insulate–and if the tape is pulled too tight or flat, that insulation quality is lost. (Yes? No? Just trying to understand, don't mean to muddy the waters, just want to eliminate a possible variable.)

The tape delaminating under heat–Oy!

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

Just use carbon felt! Not the prettiest option but works so so well. Barely warm to the touch when I take the cup (10cm) off of any stove.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Delmar O'Donnell
    (Bolster) – F

(Excellent! I was wondering how to solve this problem! Now to the auto store!)

Did you ever make it to the store an make a purchase? If you believe in the corrugations making the tape work then I suggest you purchase a roll and try it on a 10cm mug.

Tom, in regards to using the tape to fasten the shims under the StarLyte burner I have to say no to using it because the adhesive delaminated from the fiberglass. I base that decision on my experience with handle on the mug, nothing else.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I did one test a few min. ago with the 12cm mug and had the same negative result. Even worse on the delamination of tape from fiberglass. within 20-30 seconds I watched the tape slowly come off the handle. I had small bubbles forming on the bottom of the mug and then shut the burner off. I'm telling you guys and girls the truth….the handle is too hot for me to pick up.

photo InsulatingTape_zps7778910f.jpg

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

> Did you ever make it to the store an make a purchase?

No — I totally changed direction on that, and came around to the idea that a hot handle is my friend. When it's cool enough to touch, my mouth is safe. I wouldn't mind being able to lift the hot mug off to snuff the StarLyte stove, but have been reverting to a bandana for that.

>If you believe in the corrugations

LOL, no I don't "believe in the corrugations"

>… making the tape work then I suggest you purchase a roll and try it on a 10cm mug.

I don't think that's necessary, given your experience, but I hear what you are saying.

Carry on!

(PS: Why does this forum keep giving me the grade of F-minus? Are my posts really that bad?)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have had pot with no handle at all. I used to worry a lot about how to pick it up; i tried many different ways. I learned that I can always just grip the top lip of the pot bare handed and its never too hot to handle. No worries now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Tom, in regards to using the tape to fasten the shims under the StarLyte burner I have to say no to using it because the adhesive delaminated from the fiberglass. I base that decision on my experience with handle on the mug, nothing else."

I suspected as much, but it is good to know your results confirm it. I don't know that I would have coughed up 17 clams for a roll of the stuff anyway. I have another way of doing it, but the tape would have been easier.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hey Tom,

I have some thin aluminum tape, 2" wide with high heat resistant adhesive that will work for your project. Send me you address and I'll mail you some.

I was able to adhere some carbon felt to the handle of the 12cm Imusa Mug and do 2 heat tests. I was able to pick up the pot and pour the water out into the sink without problems. The adhesive withstood the heat. Kudos to those that have posted their comments on it's use.

The hole in the handle with the Leatherman is the easiest way to go. I like the lightweight multi purpose tool.

I'll try the carbon fiber on a 10cm mug tomorrow.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I'll try the carbon fiber on a 10cm mug tomorrow."

Do you expect carbon fiber to be better than carbon felt?

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Roger,

The tape/adhesive stuck to the aluminum of the handle. It delaminated from the fiberglass.

Like I said, a customer purchased a mug and then asked if I could apply the tape. He showed pictures of the taped mug and a pic of the package. I then remembered seeing a thread on BPL. Came here and sure enough the pics were from your thread.

I relied on the information and enthusiasm found in this thread. Went ahead and spent the 22 bucks in the name of stove science. Even went through the motions of offering this great new way to prevent mug handles from getting hot. I did all this having blind faith in the information you gave us.

I ventured, I gained ;-)

But Roger, I recommend everyone that views this thread to go ahead and purchase the tape and use it for the purpose that you did. It worked for you but not for me.

Now for mother Bob. I used carbon felt on the mug handle :-)))))

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I can see it works for you that's why I say to all that view your results to go ahead and purchase the tape and use it on their 12cm mugs.

Is it kind of tippy when you offset it on your canister stove?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Roger,

It worked for you, that's why I recommend everyone go out and try it for yourself. It's how we learn. I encourage mother Bob to get a roll and give it a try. He impresses me as the one guy that likes to experiment and give his 2 cents.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"get a roll and give it a try"

This only makes sense for somebody who actually owns an aluminum cook pot like this.

–B.G.–

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools