Topic

Original NeoAir vs NeoAir Xlite. Who likes the original better?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Original NeoAir vs NeoAir Xlite. Who likes the original better?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Much to my wife's delight, I broke down and got her the new Xlite for Xmas. Figured I'd be envious. However, though hers is lighter (only .98oz) than my original, and maybe a bit warmer (?), mine offers more room being that it's rectangular, and it makes little noise when I'm moving around. Couldn't believe how crinkley the Xlite is!

She's happier than a pig in poop though…and I'm not envious. All is well.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The sound doesnt bother me at all.

But I do sleep with earplugs, so there isnt any.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I've never noticed the noise of my originals or Xlites unless I was thinking about it. (I have to consciously think about it- I don't notice it- especially with my SB on it) YMMV

I do miss the rectangular shape especially when coupling with my wife's pad, but warmer is nice.

Recently went to a large size- its AWESOME- even in the hammock.

J David Sullivan
    BPL Member

@sipseyfreak

Locale: Deep South

Have both the original and new X-lite … don't notice a lot of difference in sound. If one is noticeably noisier, it isn't a lot. Slept on the 25-in one once when my son loaned it to me … really is nice … he took it back … said for me to get my own …

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Do you sleep directly on mattress?

Are there straps? Do they go under the mattress? Or do they go under you so you sleep on straps which are on mattress?

(I know this is basic question discussed in previous threads : )

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

The Original, for no other reason than the shape. I am unhappy with the fact that TAR actually cut corners to lighten up the XLite's, and would be happier to see them carrying the Originals again… IMO, get rid of the stupid Trekker pad, and carry the Original & the All Season in rectangular cut, then they can keep the XLite & the XTherm in the tapered cut.

I had to go with the large size XLite in order to have enough room on the pad now that I am used to rectangular cuts, and as a result, the pad is almost 2 oz heavier! (13.8 oz vs 15.5 oz) I have now grown to like the wider pad, but was quite happy with my regular size Original…

Maybe we can push TAR enough to start making them again… It seems like a number of folks miss the shape…

Here is a write up I did on the subject a while back:

Fare-The-Well, Original NeoAir…

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

I can't comment on the Neoair original, but I used a Neoair Xlite on my thru hike last year with no issues. I took a large, because I wanted the 25" width, and cut it to torso length. I had some issues with my hip and felt that it could be because the height difference between my torso and feet (only used a 1/4" sit pad for my feet). I have just purchased another Neoair Xlite large and today I cut it to length to accommodate my full length. Can't wait to try it out. Just wish that they would make the wider width in shorter lengths, as I do not need the 77" length.

Nathan Custer

@nastynate

Locale: Tennessee

Happy with my xlite large. I trimmed 12" off the length. Not ready to save 4oz and cut it to torso length. Love the 25" width even though I'm a smaller guy.

John Herrin
    BPL Member

@jherrin

Locale: Mid West

Am I reading this right. You guys mentioned cutting a neo-air down in size. How do you cut these shorter and then reseal them so they hold.

Curious owner of 4 neo-airs, one extra large, on regular, and two shorter lighter ones.

John Herrin

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Stick: Here here! Rectangles! Cascade Designs, Stop rounding the corners just to shave weight- at least stop with the taper (head-to-foot)

Sipseyfreak: I hear your son is a champion hiker and pimp in general, get your own Large Xlite.

Glad to see you here, Pops!

J David Sullivan
    BPL Member

@sipseyfreak

Locale: Deep South

Stick: I'm in agreement with you. I think TAR would be better off giving us options between shape and weight and let us choose. When one has big feet like you and I have, the rectangular bottom saves us from cold toes sometimes.

Jeffs: You're just waiting around until your old man kicks so you can inherit his gear. Go buy a new pack … oh … you just did. A pack for each month of the year is a bit much, don't you think. You won't really be a champion hiker until you can do at least two nights in the woods alone.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

The 'wolves in the closet' bit from my childhood scarred me. Too scared to be alone in the woods. Now i have to bring wife to lure wolves away from my self.

Plus i just want to buy gear, not use it. Dirt takes the sheen off

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools