Topic

Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Custer

@nastynate

Locale: Tennessee

I got lots of new reading material, a sawyer mini, exped air pillow, toaks 550 pot, esbit wing stove, fire steel, and Swiss army mini. Quite the motherlode.

Kevin S.
    BPL Member

@kstephens

I got a few amazon gift cards that I blew on random gear (sawyer mini, Toaks ti pot, a new headlamp…..), I also got an REI flash 4 – which is actually 50l since it is a Large. The Flash was on sale for $63, and I had a a $25 rei gift card from coworkers.

I also got the Helinox chair. I had never seen one, and thought it would be a good addition to my bike touring/kayak set up – but it was a little more bulky than I had imagined so I sent it back. I now have $80 credit at Moosejaw.

My wife also got me a new brooks saddle for my touring bike I built up last year. I just couldn't get over my old brown brooks on a new black surly. So she got me a black flyer. Now come the joys of breaking in a brooks saddle – but it is worth it.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Nothing for me but a pair of Red Ryder BB guns for the kids.

Mike Gervais
    BPL Member

@mikeg

Time spent teaching those kids to use and safely handle those RR's will be much better than any gift you could have hoped to receive.

You are blessed.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

Wondering how soon some of this gear is going to end up on swap

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"Time spent teaching those kids to use and safely handle those RR's will be much better than any gift you could have hoped to receive."

Teach them? I suppose I should've read the instructions first.

The dog runs and hides when she hears one get cocked, there are four dead sparrows in our yard, one of the neighbors' windows is broken, and I've got a bloody welt on my neck.

:)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"The dog runs and hides when she hears one get cocked, there are four dead sparrows in our yard, one of the neighbors' windows is broken, and I've got a bloody welt on my neck."

I guess it's a good thing someone hasn't lost an eye….

Adrien Baker

@adrienbaker

Locale: Kern County

I didn't get any fancy cottage gear, but I did get a few things from my wish list.

photo B583C36A-E290-42F5-8364-807C12491D18_zpsvgmvksa5.jpg

I got my wife a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3's.

Adrien

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

A family friend just got his 9 year old girl a pink Red Rider. When she asked for it we asked her what she wanted it for "Because when I grow up I want to join the army and have a pink rifle. When I shoot a bad guy I'll yell 'You've been pinkified, Sucker!'"

I told him that was so cute I'd buy it myself if he couldn't afford it!

Craig do I need to fly out too CA and teach your kids how too shoot? "Rule #1 Don't shoot the dog…

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My kids got me a TH5 Hemp Hat. Not sure I'd have ever dropped that much coin on a hat for myself. My old one was $14.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

Litetrail handleless cook kit V.3.0
    GoLite Bitterroot
    Mammut Ultimate soft shell for snowshoeing
    EE Enigma (Xtra Long to arrive around the first of the year)

Santa (and my wife) was good to me this year

From me to me

Ruta Locura Lone peak Cuben
    Wifi stove

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Best Christmas ever. The 22nd was our 30th anniversary and under the tree we had a new 9 tray Excalibur Dehydrator and tickets to Patagonia in March. Let the adventure begin.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"This statement is not directed at or intended to pick on Craig."

There's the possibility that humor was involved and that it was not to be taken seriously.

But again, there's the possibility that he wasn't joking and if so, that must have been one hell of a Christmas morning.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

> a new 9 tray Excalibur Dehydrator and tickets to Patagonia in March.

As the OP, I hereby award you the best gift of thread! The next step is for you to pretend to feel guilty for the less fortunate, and to insist that other people redistribute their wealth or donate their funds to charity. You can't take a trip to Patagonia toting your newly dried foods without some sort of public show of morality. But once you've completed the necessary exculpatory steps, I hope you enjoy the heck out of yourselves.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/hammockaccessories.html

A breathable ripstop coyote brown under-quilt protector from 2QZQ. It should be in the high 20's and misty here pretty soon so I can give it a try. Then I'll give it another test when we get some cold with wind. I'm hoping it will help extend the range of my hammock setup* a little.

* WBBB DBL 1.7, Hammock Gear 20* Incubator Under Quilt, WB Mamba 3 season top quilt, WB MambaJamba tarp

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

bk

Let's go bikepacking!

I also got a gift from Wool & Prince, the kickstarter who fielded for testers. They're having me use a few of their shirts for a while and report back (which I'll do here for those interested as well).

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

Locale: Ohio

I received 3 new pairs of Smartwool socks (which double as my everyday socks) and 3 yards of Zpacks insect netting to make a bug sock for the Grand Trunk Nano. My mom even went out in the cold and laid in the Hammock so I could make adjustments. She's a good woman!

I gave out Sawyer minis to everyone.

Happy Holidays!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Max,

Which manufacturer did you go with for that bag?

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Bolder Bikepacking for my 29er.

http://bolderbikepacking.wordpress.com/

Dave T

@davet

proper bike lights for this early-sunset time of year. light + motion "urban 700" commuter pack. would like a proper strobe for daytime, but the form factor, brightness, and USB charging is all good.

Matthew Stenger
    BPL Member

@matthewstenger

Locale: the beautiful northwest

Prepping for the AT, so gear was all I had on my wishlist. Made out pretty well.

my christmas presents

Gnar hoodie, Houdini, 20 L OR drysack, Snow Peak LiteMax stove, a mylar blanket, a leatherman, a compass thermometer, and the AT Guide (2013 version, unfortunately)

Also, one sister gave me a ton of dehydrated goodies for the trail.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I got some smartwool hiking socks and a pair of kahtoola KTS Steel crampons. I gave her a Patagonia cap 4 zip neck shirt and a patagonia R3 jacket. The rest is all about the kids..

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Pair of Smartwool PhD running socks.

Bottle of J&B scotch.

Alister R Barnes
    Spectator

@arb

Locale: Piha

A sheet of Carbon fibre and matching epoxy

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I got my gf a replacement MHW Scrambler pack after hers was stolen. Upgraded her to the ULT version in hopes of dragging her on some backpack trips (she'll camp, she'll climb, she'll hike…but the "backpacking" part is still out of reach). She got me/us a pair of the costco snow shovels in prep for some winter camping.

I had a pack stolen stolen on Halloween that was ready for a weekend trip so I took advantage of black Friday to start gearing up again. GG Mariposa, WM UL20, REI Flash 45, Rab element solo tarp, Cap 4 Hoodie. I also took advantage of the season to get some MB synth insulated pants and a rab neutrino plus in prep for some winter summits!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools