Topic

Gila alternative

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Gila alternative

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I was looking to get the kids out for a few nights after christmas and thought the Gila would be a great alternative to an Alpine route (all I have around here now). Hot springs, a bit warmer etc, but after placing a call to the ranger station it looks like sept storms wiped out a lot of the area and some of the hot springs entirely.

Any ideas on other locations in the SW that would be non alpine routes, have water and be moderately warm ? I've thought of possibly Escalante Utah area. Any other ideas ?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

What temp range are you looking at? The Gila is in the Chihuahuan desert (NM, far west TX) and along with the Great Basin deserts (UT, NV parts of ID, CO and boundary areas like northern AZ ) are classified as cold, high deserts vs. warm, low deserts in lower AZ and southern CA. (Source: Desert Ecology, 1990 printing)

Of course fronts and the winter jet stream can push some cold south in Baja…

If willing to drive to UT, maybe look at the Phoenix AZ area, namely "the Superstitions". Still can get below freezing even there. Specially reavis ranch (official) and "reavis falls" (unofficial trail) for a taste of everything … desert, pines, riparian

Ed: sp

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Its a ways from Colorado but Big Bend National Park or Big Bend Ranch State Park might be an option. I'll probably be out there myself after Christmas.

Dominguez Canyon might be an option if you don't want to drive to Utah.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I was hoping for something not below 20 ish as a low, 45 -50. I love Big Bend , been there a lot and been in Dominguez canyon a lot as well. Dominguez might be enjoyable for the kids but I was hoping for something further from home, but not 10 hours away, and with good water. I might check out some of the Arizona suggestions as well. Thanks , keep them coming

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools