Topic

Winter quilt users- are you awake when u roll over?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Winter quilt users- are you awake when u roll over?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Like the subject states, are you awake for the most part when you roll over to another position in your quilt during the winter? Does a quilt work for you? The reason I ask, is I'm thinking of getting another quilt, this one for shoulder seasons and most of the winter except single digits F and lower trips. I currently have a few WM bags and could save half a pound if I acquired a 10-15F quilt over my 33 oz., WM, Apache, 15F bag. Not interested so much from folks who wake up and find they have rolled out of the thing. I don't sleep well, so I imagine I'll be awake quickly if I poke a knee out. I'd hang onto my 5F, Antelope Super DL bag I think. Thank you.
    Duane

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

For me a quilt works well down to about 32~35F and then I prefer a bag, I have used quilts down to 15f but the drafts drove me bananas.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I use quilts only, all seasons. Wides in winter. I toss and turn a lot when I'm ground dwelling. I wake up to do it, but fall back asleep pretty quickly. Probably half a dozen times a night.

I wake up, grab the quilt at the top near my neck, turn over while holding the quilt so that it stays over me, tuck it back in under me in winter, go back to sleep. I've never rolled out of it, I always wake up to get a different position.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

As far as Im concerned, I dont "roll over" in my sleep, I would end up off the pad for sure. Changing to a side, back, or belly position over involves repositioning and getting back on the center of the pad (xlite), and so yes, Im always awake when I do so.

I keep my quilt cords around my body when its cold, maybe ~8" gap beneath me, so I have to twist and work at it to get repositioned, and the drafts sealed up.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

My sleep matches Doug's. I don't even own a bag anymore.

If you don't sleep well, I say keep the bag. A poor night's sleep isn't worth saving a few oz. If it was, I'd sleep on a CCF pad! Turning over and getting a draft may cause you to lose more sleep.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I also sleep in the Doug style,

Wake up hold the top edge move to new position the tuck in any edges. Go bag to sleep for next 2 hours.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I use quilts year round. Winter temps get down to the high single digits sometimes. I use wide Katabatic quilts with the cords that wrap around my sleeping pad. The quilt stays put above me, the pad stays underneath me and I can rotate (like a rotisserie) throughout the night while staying warm (asleep or otherwise).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Well, I can't do coordinated muscle movements while I am really asleep. On the other hand, I don't think I am very awake either when i turn over.

So maybe the question is making a really invalid assumption: that you are either 'awake' or 'not awake' when you turn over.

Yes, I use a quilt into full-on snow camping. Usually snuggled up closely to my (warm) wife.

Cheers

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Another question. Do you use a liner in winter or just wool undies etc.? I still use my silk liner, helps with cold spots and does add warmth and wool underwear usually. I'm 60 now, so snow camping is getting a little colder, I'll keep at it as long as I can or my stoves run out of Coleman fuel or kerosene. :)

Thank you. I've read some people did not use quilts beyond 20F-30F maybe due to drafts. I've been using a silk liner for years now and I grab it, rotate around, retuck the bag around my neck. I think the same procedure for a quilt would be in order. I guess that is also why people go for the wide. I'm awake the same at home too, so not worried about staying awake after finding out I'm cold or whatever. Just wish I slept better, I could get away with a little lighter pad for summer use.
    I've been contemplating Katabatic, EE and ZPacks.
    Duane

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

EE quilts are very nice, I have a 20F Rev X and really like it. My issue is I move around so much at night that I always get drafts no matter how wide the quilt is.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I use a long/regular EE 3 seasons (30 degree rev until the new Enigma showed up) and a Long Wide rev 10 with 3 oz overstuff in the snow. I have found that 3 season i do not use any of the straps, however when the temps drop I do use the pad straps and I have been known to sleep in WM down pants and my puff that I wear around camp in the winter. tall skinny guy here that sleeps COLD, but happy that i finally sold the WM Kodiak and shaved the weight

Jeff

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I own two EE quilts (Long/Wide) and really like them.

As for liners – they cost me sleep since I get tangled in them. Total pain for me for not much warmth. When I need more warmth than my baselayer provides, I'll don my Montbell down inners or Thermawrap parka. Sometimes I'll just add an old microfleece layer that I cut the sleeves off of to make a 5+ oz vest.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

EE makes a cuben liner for their quilts – as a VBL will definitely add warmth. Tim can make it so it snaps to the quilt – so no getting tangled up in the liner or having the liner and quilt get separated.

You could also get a cuben VBL shirt/pants to wear under your hiking clothes. That would also add quite a bit of warmth.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I picked up a EE Enigma reg., long 30F quilt a few weeks ago, no chance of course to use it yet. Might be able at the GGG in January at Henry Coe SP. I'll have to remember the liner for a EE quilt if I go that route. Would be less clammy in the winter maybe than summer use, never used one before, I'll have to try on my feet first on snowshoe trips. Took another look at the Katabatic quilt, quite tapered, may be tight at the knees, not much weight savings if going with the wide, 5 oz. less than my WM Apache. I think on a quilt, I could do with a regular width, I'm 6', 160-165 lbs., sleep on my side in a slight fetal position. We'll see, more money to spend on upgrading gear.
    Hi Tyson.
    Duane

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools