Topic

Lab Test – Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lab Test – Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Ash Nat
    Spectator

@maritan

I'm reading that air permeability isn't exactly an indicator of how breathable a jacket is… Any thoughts on this?

I sweat up a storm when I even start thinking of strenuous activity, so I'd like a jacket that allows me to cool off a little. Any jacket I get is going to have to have pit zips etc.

I'm more confused than ever. The lack of a unified standard really chaps my bum.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

>>> Re: What's the verdict?

I know others here will disagree with me, but I tend to think that this is a great study in knowing exactly what it is that CTC has done from a manufacturing perspective, and not so much a case study of product productivity.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

"I'm reading that air permeability isn't exactly an indicator of how breathable a jacket is… Any thoughts on this?"

Well, actually, it's simple. Based on the MVTR-claims, you would think this jacket is super-breathable. However, combined with the AP, we see in fact it is not so super as we originally were believed to think. The AP is thus a usefull indicator, but their is simply more then that. E.g. design. A while ago, somebody wrote that in fact his jacket made from less-breathable fabric with a lower AP but with vents felt more comfortable then his eVent jacket without vents.
    AP tells you something about the fabric only, not about the whole jacket or so. So, the WPB Cuben-jacket is standard perhaps not so breathable as we were meant to believe. But for an extra 25 $, one could get that jacket with vents and that could be an important option.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Verdict – It is still a very light rain jacket, but don't expect it to handle humidity/sweat/etc. better than a lower priced option with the same options.

Ryan

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

And at the same weight ?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

At the same weight, a Driducks jacket will have better air permeability at the expense of durability. Seems there isnt a free lunch. Easy on the pocket fortunately.

Ryan

Ash Nat
    Spectator

@maritan

Thanks for the explanation Someone From Europe.

I already have a Columbia HailTech II with the Omni-tech liner that I haven't used and got as a gift. I'll just use that till it doesn't function anymore. It definitely isn't ultralight by any stretch of the imagination though.

I still need a pair of pants, so I have decision to make there for sure.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey Richard,

One of the statements I made in my article when this fabric was first announced was this:

These three companies are some of the few small cottage companies that are investing the big bucks to buy material for the niche market and it is great to see! The TORAY Derminax NX deserves just as much attention, and scrutinization, that the Cuben Tech WPB fabric should have – I welcome both.

The three companies being ZPacks, NW Alpine, and KUIU.

If you ever find the opportunity to put to the the TORAY Derminax NX fabric I would be *very* interested in hearing what kind of results you get from it.

Thanks,
    +John Abela
    HikeLighter.Com
    facebook.com/hikelighter
    @hikelighter

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools