Topic

Packrafting trip ideas for a novice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Packrafting trip ideas for a novice

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The S Fork below Cedar Flats is indeed quite easy. A few class IIish things close after the put in, but mostly dead easy.

Pro-tip for the portage around Meadow Creek: hike the east side trail all the way to the airstrip. There's a fly-in campground (not marked on the Cairn map) right off the NW corner of the airstrip, and a short semi-trail out the back of the campground leads right down to the river across from Cedar Flats. Beats walking the road for a few miles.

If you have a choice of floating from Black Bear Creek down or down to Black Bear, I'd pick the upper section. Above Salmon Forks has the better scenery in my book.

Aidan Kerr
    BPL Member

@aidankerr

As it stands now, my wife and I have 5 full days, plus about 4 hours on the day we arrive and 4 hours the day we leave (so 5.5 days). I estimated 3 mi/hr for floating (not sure if that is conservative or aggressive) and then roughly 2 mi/hr for walking (a little conservative). With this timeline, it looks like were going to hike down to danaher creek and float to black bear creek, take out and hike over silvertip peak, meet up with juliet creek, then head over to the north fork of the sun river via the CDT trail. Then float that back to the trailhead.

An alternative could have us hike to the white river from the trailhead, and float that to the flathead river, then float up to mid creek, hike over to Ibex Mt. then down to juliet creek and so on.

Any thoughts on which of these routes is better?

If the water is moving us faster than 3 mi/hr, then we might be able to get up to spotted bear river.

Also, as far as a car rental goes, is benchmark road accessible by car, or do you need something with some clearance?
    Thanks.
    ~Aidan

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I'd pick option A, with a possible side trip up to float the lower 6 miles of the White if time allows.

Benchmark is well maintained in the summer. Any car will get in there no problem, averaging 30-40 mph easy once you leave pavement.

Aidan Kerr
    BPL Member

@aidankerr

Dave,
    Levels are still rather high, ~10,000 @twin creek. Doubtful they'll change too much in a week.

Besides near black bear creek, are there other areas where rapids will be pushy/harder at these levels?
    Thanks.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Burnt Park and below Black Bear Creek are the problem areas.

Aidan Kerr
    BPL Member

@aidankerr

Thanks for the help. Called the Ranger station to ask a few questions. Asked about the path over SilverTip Mountain and was told there is still a decent amount of snow on it. I'm curious how difficult the climb up Silvertip is (from the west via Black Bear and Rambler Creek). My wife and I have experience on talus/scree with some snow. We have microspikes (no crampons or ice axes). The ranger stated the traverse was doable but might be difficult. I'm curious if it should be attempted without an ice axe/full sized crampons.

I suggested an alternate route across the divide by floating up to mid creek, and taking that across to IBEX mountain, then south toward wall creek cliffs and on to juliet creek. The woman at the ranger station stated they had a crew along mid creek last week and that would be a clearer route. At this point that is the path I am leaning toward.

We are definitely up for a challenge, but dont want to commit to snow/ice we arent equipped for. Any advice would be appreciated.

Weather looks excellent for the next week!! (Alas cant have it all as the woman at the ranger station also said the water is still murky—->no good fishing)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

My inclination is to say that you'd be fine with Microspikes and poles traversing along the southern side of Silvertip, but I've not been up there often enough to say with certainty. The Mid Creek to Ibex route would be a more surefire bet.

Erick Brown
    BPL Member

@albertfan5

Curious if anyone has trip reports for this trip?  I’m also looking to plan a 5-7 day packrafting trip for next summer.  We’ve done a few packraft trips in Utah & Washington in class II-III water and have experience off trail as well but are still somewhat new to packrafting so not looking for something too insane.  We’ve done Glacier National Park before so curious if Bob Marshall Wilderness is similar to GNP?

Any recommendations would be great!

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools