Topic

100 weight fleece pullover is light?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 100 weight fleece pullover is light?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Meadors
    Spectator

@thebentern

Locale: Central Arkansas

Thought I'd share this find with you guys. I picked up this little number at my local TJ Max. It's a Marmot Bridgeport 1/2 zip. It was $29 for a 1/2 zip with Polartec micro classic fleece in a small (I'm typically on the small end of medium and it just fits me with a base layer).
    It weighs in at 6.6 oz on my scale, probably mostly due to the lack of pockets, zippers, and other features. I've never come across a lighter ~100 weight fleece top before.
    Marmot Bridgeport

The only times I typically bring fleece is typically fall/spring during times of rain, which can be often during those seasons in Arkansas or on day hikes. Without getting into another synth filled vs. fleece discussion, is this an ideal weight for this category of garment? I really don't see any way of reducing weight any without changing the type of fleece.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yes, it's the ideal weight for an active layer. Not too warm, which is good.

Benjamin Meadors
    Spectator

@thebentern

Thanks, Justin. Glad to hear it.
    Does anybody know if there's perceptible warmth gains between classic 100 weight fleece and the power dry grid fleece in the R1? I know the power dry offers better moisture management.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I haven't weighed mine but Target sells a C9 label 100 weight equivalent fleece quarter zip pretty much exactly like this – no pockets, no extra elastic, etc… that is super light – very warm for its size and have proven quite durable. I like them so much I have 3 and will get another when they go on sale again. I wear them around the house/town in the winter as well as they are cozy without the bulk.

I think regular price they are $17.99 and usually go on sale for $14.99.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Does anybody know if there's perceptible warmth gains between classic 100 weight fleece and the power dry grid fleece in the R1? I know the power dry offers better moisture management.

theres no real warmth gain IMO .. i own many fleeces

;)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Does anybody know if there's perceptible warmth gains between classic 100 weight fleece and the power dry grid fleece in the R1"

Check out Richard Nisley's charts:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?bo=watch&forum_thread_id=18950

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=9378

It is virtually the same, but I like the R1 better for the moisture management. 100w fleece always feels a little swampy to me.

Great buy and you'll get a ton of use from that fleece. It will make a good paring with windshirt or rain shell, great sleep wear and just something to take a little chill off. Perfect for a summer day hiking CYA layer. Wash it gently and don't bake it in the dryer and it will stay soft and lofty for a long time.

Gaute Lote
    BPL Member

@glote

Locale: Norway

I agree with Dale, there's little difference in warmth between my R1 fleece (bought early 2K-ish, cant´t remember exactly when…) and my North Face 100-weight fleece pullover (no idea what model…)

Latetely I have been favoring the north face just because its lighter…

In my case they are both size XL and the weights are 277 grams for the north face and 404 grams for the R1

I think they are both as good as new, and the R1 are growing into being a teenager while the North Face is still just a kid as I bought it new in San Franscisco in 2007…

I will admit that I've ignored the the 30 degree celsius washing instructions and washed both at 40 or 60 degree celsius without any visible harm so far…

but I always hang my clothes to dry…

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

> Wash it gently and don't bake it in the dryer and it will stay soft and lofty for a long time.

Where were you when my wife needed exactly that advice, before cooking my TurtleFur hat to a crisp in the dryer?

Question: Do grown men cry when their wives cook their fleece? Answer: Yes, they do.

Back on track: I'd love to score a 6 oz fleece. My lightest 100 wt sweaters like that (LL Bean) are 9 and 10 oz.

I guess I'm looking for "50" wt fleece.

cody yochum
    Spectator

@uclacody0908

Locale: Nor Cal

I've got one of those fleece quarter zips from target also, can't beat a 100 wt fleece pullover for 15 bux! Actually have quite a bit of gear from c9, cheap and reliable gear

Benjamin Meadors
    Spectator

@thebentern

Thanks for all of the responses!
    But the R1 can be used as a base layer as well, correct? Or does it perform it's best role as just a mid layer?

Mike Stromsoe

@phstudio

Locale: So. Cal.

+1on the Target fleece. I can't really distinguish the material from my other branded Polartec fleeces. And because of its light weight and lack of features (a good thing), my $17 c9 fleece goes with me on my cold weather adventures more than my expensive big name brands.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I was in Wally World looking for a replica football jersey and ran across a quarter zip grid fleece. Not as light as the 100wt C9 fleece but if you're looking for an inexpensive option it was not bad quality – I forgot to check the price but it was a Starter brand – no frills.

I may pick one up just to check it out – use if for the gym if I don't want to use it hiking.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"But the R1 can be used as a base layer as well, correct? Or does it perform it's best role as just a mid layer?"

There gets to be a fuzzy line between heavy base layers and light fleece. IMHO, R1 works better for me as a mid layer, but if your base layer is wet, etc, you can sure wear the R1 comfortably alone. Typically it is cut more like a mid layer too. There are some gridded fleece tops that are cut with a snug fit, stretch panels on the sides, etc and meant to be worn as a base layer.

There are lighter weight Power Dry (the fabric in R1) tops that make great base layers. I have an REI midweight Power Dry top that is great for a cold weather base layer.

100w is a little softer and I often wear it alone around town, but rarely on the trail. No reason you couldn't wear it alone or layered up with a silkweight top. I do like the base/mid/puffy/shell layering approach.

Steven Diogenes
    Spectator

@stevenn

Does anyone know what the equivalent men's design is for the Marmot Furnace? That's only 13 oz and it's 200wt… not sure what a men's medium would be in the same jacket, though. I also wonder if a Women's L would fit a medium-wearing man without looking goofy.

EDIT: on second thought, a women's large would probably bring it right up to around 15-16 ounces… making it the same weight as other 200wts. So nevermind :)

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

> There gets to be a fuzzy line between heavy base layers and light fleece.

My favorite sentence in this thread! Fuzzy line! True on so many levels!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

"….on second thought, a women's large would probably bring it right up to around 15-16 ounces… making it the same weight as other 200wts"

Yeah, no free lunch. Fleece works great, but as you've seen, when you get to the 200w range the scale starts to tip to the puffy side of the clothing universe. A 200W fleece vest in a men's large is about 11oz and a good cool-weather-under-a-shell option. You can get them pretty cheap. Synchilla is the stuff to find when you want this sort of fleece. I had an XL Synchilla vest that was 10.4oz.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

I went looking for this deal, and found it at the local Marshall's! (I think Marshalls and TJ owned by the same?) They had several, in green and red. Nice item, thanks for the heads up. This is the first fleece that's light enough (7.2 oz in M), that I'll actually pack it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The Sahalie Butter fleece 1/4 zip tops are super comfortable 100w-ish fleece and 10.4oz in a large. They are only $20. They have tall sizes too.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=85458&skip_to_post=728822#728822

Benjamin Meadors
    Spectator

@thebentern

I'm glad you could pick one up, Delmar. I think my wife has claimed mine for herself. :-)

I frequent Marshall's and TJ Maxx looking for finds like this. They are owned by the same company, and there can be a lot of overlap in their stock. The higher end stuff tends to be at Marshall's. There I've found Cabot & Sons sock, Marmot, TNF, Columbia, and Patagonia items from time to time. The best deals I've found are generally on nice hiking wool and coolmax socks. I've recently seen the Hawke & Co packable down jacket mentioned in the Gear Deals forum at both stores, and I picked one up.
    Also, worth mentioning, they get new stock in fairly frequently. You might ask the manager to see which days. Some of the stuff goes off of the shelves quickly at my local store.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools