Topic

Stove jack placement in a 9×9 mid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stove jack placement in a 9×9 mid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice about stove jack placement for turning a pyramid into a hot tent.

My set-up is as follows. I have a 9×9 Oware Pyramid, and I plan to make a bed out of 2 25" x-therms for myself and my girlfriend on one side of the center pole, and offset the pole 6" to give us a little extra space. A big dog will be sleeping some nights on the other side of the pole. I'd like to place the stove, either a Big Sibling or a 16" cylinder stove from TiGoat, close enough so that I can reach it to stock it or get a pot/a hot drink off the top from the bed (more or less), but far enough so that it isn't too warm when going full bore. I also want plenty of pipe inside the tent.

So, how close can I put the stove to the bed? Anyone have experience with the heat these stoves put out?

Thanks in advance, Ed

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Hi Ed,

I have no experience with these stoves, but in planning to buy one and considering my setupI spoke to Josh at Rutalocura and he recommends 24" from the side of a cuben tent, but it could be safely closer if necessary, but certainly not closer than 12". That may or may not be helpful.

Derrick

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

Because the walls of a pyramid slope so much I think you may struggle to put it anywhere bu in the centre of the tent. I've used a pyramid with two foot side walls and we put it off the the left of the door and slept against the back wall but I can't see there being enough room without side walls. Also, if you put the pipe anywhere but straight up the middle, most of your pipe will be outside. It would need some sort of support and you would lose a lot of heat from the pipe. I've always seen people sleep one on each side of the stove in tents with sloped walls.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

A little back from the middle opposite the door is probably the best option. The one I put in my Megalight is offset a little to one side, purely because I wanted to use the upper panel seams as the edges of the jack for strength and ease of sewing.

These little stove will put out a lot of heat for a fairly short time. With good fuel prep and consistent stoking you can get down to a single layer in single degree temps.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Hi David,

Which stove are you using?

Thanks

Derrick

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm not sure how large a 9×9 tent is, so it's hard to say. I have a Seek Outside Tipi with a stove. Without a stove it can easily sleep 3 people with gear, and 4 people with very little gear. With a stove it can sleep two people with gear.

I'm guessing my tipi is probably a bit bigger. But Dave's advice sounds sound.

One thing about these stoves is that they burn out pretty fast.

What i want to do is to buy or make (most likely buy because cuben is so dang expensive and i don't want to mess it up) a large cuben pyramid tent, and line it with an IR reflective liner (like heet sheets, but hopefully something more durable if i can find it and it doesn't weight too much).

Will do a few things, create a double wall so condensation is less of an issue when not using the stove, creates a still layer of air in between walls increasing insulation some, helps to protect the cuben from any potential radiative heat damage, and then the reflective liner maximizes warmth through reflection of the heat back to you. The latter means i could use less fuel at a time and tend to it less, or so i'm hoping :/

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Justin,

About 2 years ago I order from DIY supply a ripstop SilNylon with a metalized reflective layer on one side that was intended to reflect heat. It was a 30D with DWR and reflective coating at 1.56 ounce/sq yard.

I just checked and DIY no longer sells the stuff. The closest I can find is this 70D 2.9 ounce/sq. yard fabric:

http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?productId=71&categoryId=10

Point being … if you can find the lighter stuff it might be what you are looking for, as opposed to a fraken-cubictech-emergency blanket … although that sounds like more fun.

Sorry for the drift.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I have the Big Sibling stove. I like it quite a bit.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

There are a few reason near the center is better. first it is the most stable in a single pole shelter, and secondly the pipe does provide a decent amount of heat. Opposite the zipper from center is probably the best choice for most , that way the stove is not in the way when you enter / exit . We have worked with reflective materials in a variety of ways as well. A reflective roof has some merit, as that is where most heat is lost. A liner adds some temperature stability as well. Other ways to have a longer stable heat source is wood size. Larger wood burns longer and more mildly. Our XL stove will fire right up without any real stoking 3 hrs after it's last burn , so that helps a lot. If you can convince a couple of inches of snow to fall on you while you are running the stove the extra insulation will do wonders.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools