Topic

When to carry/wear a Short Sleeve shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) When to carry/wear a Short Sleeve shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

A short-sleeve base and a long-sleeve hiking shirt is a great combo indeed. It's what the military uses. A long-sleeve base is slightly more versitile since you can just push up the sleeves.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I always wore a short sleeve shirt while hiking in the Appalachians in the summertime.

I'll echo what others have said above that short sleeves are best for warm and humid climates where you will usually have some kind of shade from tree cover.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i wear short sleeve all summer. my hiking is done in the green tunnel of the AT, so i'm not worried at all about the sun. i personally think the "bugs" thing is overrated, at least in PA. mosquitos don't ever become a bother until i get to camp and am sitting still, in which case i can either build a fire or put on a windshirt/rain jacket. the bugs that are the most annoying are gnats that fly in my face when i'm walking down the trail. long sleeve shirt won't do anything for them…

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

The only reason I ever pack a SS shirt is as a warm weather sleep layer.

Ticks are a huge issue, especially in the spring and summer, in the SoCal backcountry. I detest the little buggers. So unless I'm on a front country trail, I virtually always hike in pants and long sleeves regardless of the temps.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools