Topic

some Koppen things 1/2 price and free shipping at Dicks ($22 waterproof jacket)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals some Koppen things 1/2 price and free shipping at Dicks ($22 waterproof jacket)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    VA S

@va

Some Koppen things 1/2 price and free shipping at Dicks on-line. Weird thing is you don't see the sale price until you Click on the actual item. I got a lightweight jacket that says its WATERPROOF for $22.48 shipped and best part is if its not good I can easily return it. That deal made it worth a shot – we'll see how it checks out.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24418026&cp=4406646.4413874.12019863.12109864.11288293.11288296

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Interesting. Hard to argue with the price of $22. Any idea of what "waterproof breathable HYDRO REPEL" technology is? Or jacket weight? The Koppen website is slow and displays no jackets (for me at least).

http://www.koppenoutdoor.com/products/browse/jackets/men/

Only reviews I found are mostly positive, but not from UL'ers:

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/men-k-ppen-rain-jacket-reviews

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

With these cheap jackets they are always either waterproof and not breathable or breathable and water resistant. The description sounds like it doesn't even have a waterproof membrane and relies on dwr.

VA S

@va

I know that Koppen site was awful, huh?!

I know nothing really – wonder about that 'technology' too… I will have to check it out when it arrives, but since I live about 2 miles from 2 Dicks went for it and figured others might feel the same. Wish I knew more. I've been in the market and couldn't seem to make myself do the the Fauxdini Ebay one.

I have a Koppen tent (a 3-man for when the sons go – not my usual for backpacking) and its SUPER …so I'm hopeful.

VA S

@va

Im not holding out for it to be amazing at $22 but think it might be useful for me as a light thing to take on quick overnights where rain isn't in the forecast…cause you know how it goes. What do you think is the best rain jacket Justin? (I know there are tons of threads on this – read a bunch – but since you're here :) )

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

It is a screaming deal, thanks for posting it.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

I could use an inexpensive rain jacket, even if it doesn't make it into the backpack. Still curious what the weight is. Thanks for the head's up. As you say, virtually a no risk deal with free shipping.

Reading through the Buzzillions reviews, which is annoying because they are of so much lower quality than you find at BPL, I'm seeing repeated comments of:

dry, (none of the 42 reviews mentioned wet-out or water failure)
    lightweight,
    breathable,
    runs small, (and also) true to size,
    not very windproof, (and also) great wind protection,
    ill fitting hood,
    fairly long arms,
    a bit noisy
    zipper puckers

Here

http://www.trademarkia.com/kppen-85246288.html

On reviewer calls Koppen shorts "cheap crap" and an owner of a Koppen fleece was "very disappointed in the fabric."

VA S

@va

Yeah, I hesitated on posting it because there was so little info – I know everyone here wants data and so do I. Like you said, will at least be a running around town jacket if not in the pack. I do have a theory that Koppen is working VERY hard to bring up their reputation and trying to get good gear out there, so the pricing is very competitive…again my tent impressed me as a great value. BUT, we'll see and yes, dying to know what it weighs but willing to give this one a shot without knowing. (and clearly is weighs less than the other Koppen model on the site – just by the appearance – and many reviewers call it 'light weight'…. will be interesting.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

> With these cheap jackets they are always either waterproof and not breathable or breathable and water resistant.

One could say the same of expensive waterproof jackets, except that they do it a little better.

> Yeah, I hesitated on posting it because there was so little info

Ha ha, I know, you get eaten alive on BPL if you don't have intimate knowledge of a deal you've spotted.

I jumped, VA S. I need a rain jacket in my closet, whether it makes it to the trail or not. Will be interesting to see what shows up. Not expecting it to compete with Patagonia, RAB, or Mont-Bell.

VA S

@va

Excited to see how our $22 dollar jackets are….but, dang, Im supposed to be Christmas shopping, lol.

George Ramsdell
    BPL Member

@ghramsdell

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think the Koppen website is broken, or incomplete. The Koppen brand is private label brand of Dick's sporting goods.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Large size weighs 5.2 oz. Feels and looks like a wind shirt.

Darth Vader breathe-in test, 15-17 seconds till lungs full. (I get >30 seconds on my Frogg Toggs, and they are often referred to as 'very breathable'.) I wonder if this could pass as another Faux-dini. Especially as the DWR wears off–I'm assuming DWR, but I still haven't a clue as to what "Hydrö Repel" is. The illustration that comes with the jacket shows a two-layer fabric, or a two-layer SOMEthing, but who knows; still assuming an applied treatment of some sort.

Looks like a fine rip-stop poly. No draw cord at hem. Elastic cuffs do not close all the way down to the wrists. Most seams have over-locked stitching (except inside pockets.) Pockets are large. Hood is large, fits over a climbing helmet. Cut low, fully covers pelvis. No remarkable or obvious faults I can spot. Made in Viet Nam. Had the wife give the jacket the once-over, and she proclaimed the stitching to be of good quality.

Sizing probably accurate, I purchased a size larger than normal (40" = M, upsized to L) so it would fit over a puffy without compressing it, which it does, nearly perfectly. Without the puffy, and just a tee shirt underneath, the L fits a little large, as expected.

No chance to water-test yet, will report back when I've a chance.

VA S

@va

I am pretty impressed too. (Also impressed w/ Dicks ultra-fast shipping!) I didn't do a "real" waterproof test yet but did stuff the inside of a sleeve w some work paper towels that show even a drop of water and ran a full-blast stream from my work sink over it for a few minutes – not a drop got in. So far happy w my $22 buy. Love the weird orange color – I will NEVER be lost in the woods – we'll see if my fella likes the green I got him and how his sizing is. I too got a size larger than normal and went over my puffy perfectly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm wondering if this hydro repel is the same stuff that Nano-Tex talks about on their site. They developed (supposedly) a permanent and high quality DWR.

Having some of their dry inside stuff, i'm a little skeptical of their claims in general. The dry inside does work some the way they claim, but not as good as their video tests make it out to be.

Would be interested in testing it out though, but last i checked the jacket with the Nano-Tex treatment didn't have a hood…which for me is a deal breaker for WPB except for the Kirklands WPB jacket i bought for motorcycling riding.

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

Who came up with these colors?

What color is Poinciana?

I kinda like the green, but the blue zipper kills it for me.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

I think this is really a wind jacket more than a rain jacket–it is quite breathable but at best is water repellant. I took it into the shower with a tee shirt underneath, and rotated slowly under the shower head. It resisted water nicely for about a minute. In two minutes my tee-shirt was wet down the center front (water through the zipper) and in three minutes my shoulders were wet. Granted, I've seldom been in a rain storm that puts out as much high volume, high pressure water as my shower. Seldom do you have the rain pointed directly at your front zipper. So take the test for what it's worth–not a "live" test by any means, and lacking in what scientists call "external validity."

I'm perfectly happy with the purchase and not returning, but just trying to get a realistic view of the product out there.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You can bet it is a PU coated fabric, like the Red Ledge and Sierra Designs jackets. It's workable only if it is well vented. If you want cheap, light and breathable, DriDucks and a flat pack of duct tape is the way to go.

Get a poncho!

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

I don't understand? This jacket is way way more breathable than Dri Ducks. It's essentially a breathable windshirt. I think it's mislabeled as a rain jacket. I think this is basically a windshirt with some moisture resistance. I'd rather own this than the Faux Wolfskin that got so much attention. Just about the same price, too.

Totally agree about the tape + Dri Ducks set. You got to have both. Seems like after every use, I am applying several tape patches. But I'd rather have the Ducks in the rain, than this jacket, for sure.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To my post above, never mind. Did a little research and found it was not the jacket i had seen earlier.

(Note to self, do a little research before wondering out loud in a post).

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

In an attempt to get more info before ordering, looks like I waited too long. I tried to order and it looks like the price has gone back to $45. I'm not interested at that price.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Thanks for the info Delmar, I'm surprised to hear it's actually a windshirt. That's bad on Dick's part for mislabeling.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools