Topic

Question on Fit of Montbell Mirage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question on Fit of Montbell Mirage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Can anyone give me some reference on the fit of the MB Mirage jacket? For a reference point I have a Montbell UL down parka in size M. The fit is good, but I'm looking for a looser fit, both for layering, and for comfort while sleeping in it, if needed. I can sleep fine in the UL parka, but it is too restrictive to be perfect. Would people say that the Mirage is a slightly looser fit, or exactly the same as the UL Jacket. Thinking of going with a large, which I almost never do, but I figure on a down puffy I would be happier with lots of room.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have a Mirage and a 2008 UL Down Inner and the Mirage has a roomier fit.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Bradford, thanks!

Travis Higdon
    Spectator

@life-goes-on

Locale: PNW

I don't have the UL down parka to compare, but I have the MB Mirage in a size large. I'm 6' 190# and I'm happy with the fit. I usually go with a large size for outer layers so I'm not sure I would size up if I were you if you normally wear a medium. I have worn it as an outer layer over several other layers (for cold summit celebrations) or even over a t-shirt (to check the mail). It lofts so high that it fills whatever space you give it. But I don't think I'd want it any larger because it's a typical MB athletic fit and you don't want a big air gap between you and the jacket.

Brock Graves
    BPL Member

@gravesbrock

Locale: asheville nc

Not sure if this helps but, I ordered a large mirage and a medium alpine light parka. The mirage had enough room to fit 2 of me inside the alpine had enough room to put a base layer and a nano puff if need be. But, 2 more inches in hem length would have been perfect. I sold the mirage and kept the alpine. I'm 6'2 160lbs

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I have both the Mirage and the Permafrost. At 5'9" and 185lb I found the Mirage fit me well in size Large, but for the Permafrost I had to upsize to XL. Combined with feedback from others, I'd say the Mirage is probably oversized compared with other offerings from MB.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Thought I would post a follow up in case someone 6 months from now has exactly the same question.

Bradford pretty much nailed it.

My Montbell UL parka sized medium, fits fine over a baselayer and thin fleece or thin puffy vest. But beyond that there is not a lot of room for more than this, and in particular trying to sleep in it with my arm under my head, and so forth, while not threatening to rip, would be constrictive. Basically what people would call "optimum" fit for warmth, with not too much room to spare for flexibility. So that is the baseline.

The Mirage size medium is in fact a bit roomier as you would want/expect. The sleeves are a bit longer as well. Also fits "perfect" for me in size medium (very glad I didn't up the size), but is a more relaxed fit suitable for more serious layering if needed. VERY happy with it.

So hope that help people figure out the right size for them.

The medium mirage I got weighed in at 13.0 oz. The UL parka is 9.3 oz. In warm weather the UL parka would be the no brainier because wearing anything more, even at the coldest part of the night sitting outside, would just be uncomfortable. On the other hand, for any situations where I would not ever be uncomfortable wearing the Mirage, it seems like I will now be faced with an interesting quandary – for extra weight equivalent to a little more than the energy bar I might eat to help keep warm just before getting into my bag, I could bring the Mirage instead, which is in a totally different warmth category. It is definitely not just a tweak up in warmth. In the high sierras, even in the summer, I've never been *too* warm at night above 10k feet, even in the summer. So even without using that fact to consciously take a lighter bag, this jacket is still going to be tugging at me at me. I think this is going to be the ultimate test if I am firmly committed to being light for light sake, or whether still have trace elements of the Epicurean left in me. OK, who am I fooling about that one. LOL

For what it is worth, I got the gunmetal version, but this fabric is a shade darker that the gunmetal on the UL parka.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

>>> MB Mirage jacket … Montbell UL down parka

I have both the Montbell Mirage Parka and the Montbell UL Down Inner Parka and I find that the Mirage is a bit looser fit than the ULDIP, which I guess makes sense given its designed to be an outer and not an "inner", thus the previous "UL Down INNER Parka" name (??) that has now had the "Inner" removed.

ps: love my Mirage… one of the best down parka by the numbers.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Thanks for the follow up, on the size and warmth side of things. Always been interested in the Mirage (they don't sell it here in Japan as far as I know). Now I have a more clear picture of what size to order through the web if (when?) I get it.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I currently use a Patagonia UL hoody, which I believe is functionally similar to the MontBell UL model. The Patagonia jacket has a listed weight of 9.3 oz with 3.5 oz of down fill.

In colder temps, I'm curious as to whether it makes more sense to use a parka like the Mirage, or whether it would be better to enhance the warmth of the hoody with an UL down vest (5.7 oz, 2 oz of down fill). The two garments would have a combined weight of 15 oz with 5.5 oz of down fill vs. the Mirage at 12.8 oz and 5.3 oz of down (but higher fill power of 900).

Is the decision simply weighing the higher weight vs. increased modularity, or are there other considerations?

Jim Jessop
    BPL Member

@stokeyjim

Is the Mirage still quite a short cut Parka?

I want something that properly covers my lower back and top of hips, like the fit of a Patagonia Fitzroy but with the weight saving of the mirage.

What's the length like?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

No the Mirage is actually quite long. It is not cut short like the Alpine Light Parka.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Do you need measurements Jim?

Jim Jessop
    BPL Member

@stokeyjim

Hi Stephen,
    Length measurements would be superb. It would be very kind if you could measure one.
    I think I'd be a size medium but if yours is a large I could probably more or less extrapolate from that.
    Many thanks!
    Jim

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Jim,

Shoulder to back hem is nearly 31 inches, front is about 28.

The length is not bad at all.1

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Marko thank you very much for posting the follow up. I've been going through down jacket options for me and the Ms. and this was super helpful.

Stephen is your jacket a Medium or a Large?

For anyone who has worn one for multiple trips, how do you find the durability of the fabric? I know it's 7D, but how has it held up for you in practice?

BTW, are there any retailers out there that still sells this jacket other than Montbell itself? Montbell has been eliminating outside retailers and I wonder if any retailers will be selling Montbell products come the fall. Outside retailers have been more generous with discounts, but I must admit most Montbell products are reasonably priced.

Jim Jessop
    BPL Member

@stokeyjim

That's brilliant Stephen, many thanks!

Is that a large or medium?

Thanks again!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

JimEJ,

Mine is a large.

I have never had any issues with the durability, it's seen lots of use
    and looks perfect. If I am going to light a fire (which in Michigan I do on most trips) or its raining around camp I will stick a windhsirt or shell over it, but thats to keep it from getting smelly or damp.

I have used lots of lightweight Parkas from top tier US and UK manufacturers and this is by far my favorite, its got all the features my winter Parkas have in a very lightweight package.

In winter I often layer it under a synthetic piece for trips where the weather can be 32f one night and -10f the next, I still have a couple of big down Parkas if I am going to be out in sub 0F weather continously but in the whole I find the Mirage and a Dead Bird Atom Sv make a killer combo for most winter trips. (If I had to have only two insulating jackets these would be it).

Jim Jessop
    BPL Member

@stokeyjim

Cheers Stephen, really helpful, much appreciated.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools