Topic

Which sewing machine?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Which sewing machine?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Teipen

@wamyteipen

Locale: midwest

I'm looking to start making my own lightweight gear. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on a good, inexpensive sewing machine?

Joseph Williams

@deadogdancing

Locale: SW England

I use a janome machine, bottom of the range, which, at 99 pounds (double it for dolars), was the cheapest new one that wasn't obviously crap. All good so far, although I wish the reverse lever would lock in place so I could have both hands free when sewing backwards…

I'm sure the experts on the board will be able to share more detailed desiderata with you…

second hand can be cheaper if you're patient enough, and take along someone who knows what to look for

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You can pick up a decent entry level Singer at many Walmarts and similar for around $100. Another cheap way is to visit Sewing machine shops (the kind that sell good machines, and vacumns…not fabric shops!) and see if they have any refurbished trade ins!

All you really need is a machine that goes forward and back for gear with maybe a zig zag stitch thrown in.

Btw, learn your fabrics-some need regular needles, other ball point needles :-)

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

I love my Bernina but your not going to find a good used one for what a k-mart singer will cost.

I would buy a chep unit and upgrade if your get into it. I really like a adjustable presser foot if you can find one with it. It helps when dealing with thin fabrics and if you start to deal with insulation.

JFF

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I bought a Brother for $80 from Walmart and it has served me well. I doesn't do too many "fancy" stitches but I don't either. As long as I remember to put the foot down before sewing (whoops), it performs without a hitch.

The only thing I have noticed that bothers me for making outdoor gear is that it doesn't seem to like multiple layers of really thick fabric. This hasn't been a real problem for me yet but it does have the advantage of making me stay with my lightweight objectives!

Joe Federici

@need2boat

Locale: North East

I'd also take a look at a Juki. They have some machines starting around 199.00 that are very nice.

Juki isn't a really big name in the US but they make machines for many of the bigger names like Bernina, Singer and others.

JFF

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools