Topic

2014 MLD Newt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2014 MLD Newt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

MLD has the Newt back up on their site. Looks like a repeat of the 2012 model. Anybody who has used the 2012 have any feedback?

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

It seems that the only change is the new mesh pocket on the outside? Im not sure. I wish they used the stretch mesh that GG is using. I was going to purchase one of the old ones, and I might get a new one. Not sure yet. So tempting. I need a smaller volume pack.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Looks identical to the 2012 version. Some of the product photos for the 2014 Newt now at MLD's website are the same photos as photos for 2012 Newt at this link:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=56937

Description of the material appears to be the same, too.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

They added a hipbelt and a mesh pocket.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Check out the MLD Facebook page. A good explanation from Ron of why they use the non stretch mesh.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"Check out the MLD Facebook page. A good explanation from Ron of why they use the non stretch mesh."

Facebook and all it's baggage is a royal PITA. (Social Media Ludite here.)

Is this information anywhere on the MLD website?

I would like to know the rational for mesh over solid. What few mesh pockets I've had didn't survive the bushwacking.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

Greg, copied from MLD's Facebook page:

"Ron Bell

Every year we search out new fabrics and materials and test them against what we currently use. (We were the first UL company to even have a HH fabric tester and and to use a 3X DWR 10d fabric) Pictured is this years pack pocket mesh options. The flat stretchy meshes in the back of the pic look really sexy and are very fashionable now for pack construction since it eliminates many steps (cost) in construction like strong replaceable and adjustable bungee cord sleeves at the top of the pockets.

We kept our solid standard mesh and strong construction.

For pack pocket mesh we could use any material and have done extensive testing on many types. The one main reason we continue to use our non stretch open mesh is strength. At only 4oz sq/yd it is twice as light as most stretch mesh used on other lightweight packs and has a higher tear strength. The grid weave pattern works like a ripstop and small tears are limited and do not grow. In our tear and abrasion tests our 4oz material was stronger than all the stretch meshes until we got to ones over 8oz sq/yd and those are harder to stretch and the weave is very tight – almost a solid fabric anyway – so why use stretch mesh that heavy anyway?

A second good reason is the large drain holes allow anything wet inside to dry faster and with far lower rain water absorption into the mesh and contents – another weight savings on the trail.

Few lightweight backpackers using our packs have mesh durability problems, we get only one or two repairs a year. Our open hole mesh make field repair easier than tight stretch mesh too – any small string can be used – no needle needed.
    ******* If your backpacking style demands tougher outside pockets then no mesh of any kind is the best lightweight answer and we offer our Super Option with all the outside pockets and extension collar built in super tough and light Dyneema X."

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

I noticed the 2014 Newt on the MLD site as well. I need a lower volume pack for long, high output dayhikes. However I have a MLD Burn and as best as I can tell from the MLD site, the 2014 Newt is not much smaller at all than the Burn. In fact, the main pack bodies are about the same size. The Burn has the side pockets, and an extension collar. But the Newt's top is pretty long to provide the rolltop. I really wanted something more along the lines of the Newt but with around 1200 cubes.

I hate not being able to compare them in person.

Edited to add: forgot to mention that I emailed Ron this week about getting the 2014 Newt in a smaller volume, custom version. He said they're too busy cranking out stock orders to do any customs at this time.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Thank You, Maris.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools