Topic

R1 or Cap 4?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) R1 or Cap 4?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

speaking of the highly touted r1. is there a substantial difference b/t the R1 and capeline 4? too me, on inspection they appear to be very similar. both are grid style fabrics. i am interested in a winter weight base layer and both of these items are in the running for me. anyone have any insight or consideration that i'm not thinking about?

cap 4 hoodie – polartec power dry he. 8.5 oz
    r1 hoodie – polartec power dry 12.6 oz

so based on that info, i assume the R1 is simply a little bit thicker/warmer?

thanks for your time and insight…

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I own an R1 Zip-Jacket and the Cap 4 Hoodie. The Cap 4 is better suited as a base layer in my opinion. The grid pattern is smaller/denser. The R1 is a fantastic mid-layer though. The larger grid pattern allows more air/wind through and can be chilly without a windbreaker if it is your only layer. Both fabrics have their niche. What conditinos will you be using them in?

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

winter, central PA. as either a next to skin baselayer or right above a thin merino T

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

On the move R1 is way too hot in my experience. Cap 4 is about the most versatile clothing piece for cool-cold weather that exists. It can go from just taking a cool edge off without being too hot to providing a surprising amount of warmth when paired with a windshirt. I usually wear it over a thin merino T.

Brock Graves
    BPL Member

@gravesbrock

Locale: asheville nc

+1 on the cap4 for versatility and form fitting. Winter hiking it never comes off

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Another +1 for the Cap4. I like it over a s/s merino t-shirt, too.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

+1 CAP 4. Now the question is crew, zip neck, or hoody? If it's cold winter a hood is good, I think. Mike

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Where I live, it doesn't get cold enough even in the winter to use R1 as a baselayer. I use Cap4 and even then it has to be in the single digits if I am moving. Of course I always have a windshirt on, so that might have something to do with it.

Skip the hoodie and add a balaclava instead. It's much more versatile.

Dan
    BPL Member

@supro

Locale: Adirondacks

I haven't yet had a chance to try a cap 4, but I picked up a R1 hoody this year and I've been loving it as a next to skin layer. I add a windshirt when needed, but if I'm moving pretty good, just the R1 is enough. It's warm, yet very breathable, and the hood and deep zipper allow for easy temperature regulation. I wish the Large was a bit slimmer in the torso, but I'm not complaining. I bet the cap 4 would be great as well. I'd recommend the hooded version, whichever you choose.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I bought an r1 hoody recently. Just returned it to Patagonia because I never found a need for it. Tried on the cap 4, planning to buy when it goes on sale. Wouldn't get a hoody again. 1/4 zip more versatile, better for causual wear too.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

touching on my original question. is the R1 really just a thicker version of the gridded polartec though? i know a few posts up a guy said that the c4 had smaller grids. i'm just trying to get to know each garment. and yes, i wouldn't spend the extra money or weight on a hood for a base layer. i was just comparing 2 pieces

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

The R1 is thicker. The R1 squares also have less "dead space" between the rows.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

See the difference in fabric here:

r1red-vs-cap4

Thinner, and more space between the squares in the Cap 4 (left). Like others, for me the R1 is way too warm on the move. I've got a couple of thinner grid fleece hoodies and shirts before the Cap 4 hoodie came out.

If you want a more athletic fit (the Cap 4 was a little boxy for me) and a better balaclava hood also check the Mountain Equipment Eclipse Hooded Zip Tee (though they also have a jacket version).

Mountain-Equipment-Eclipse-Hooded-Zip-Tee

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Fleece-Jacket-Reviews/Mountain-Equipment-Eclipse-Hooded-Zip-Tee

Hope that helps.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

cap is on the left?

there are a few things i'd like from MEC but i live in the usa and shipping is :(

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Correct, Cap 4 on the left (edited for clarity).
    Oh, that Eclipse Hooded Zip Tee is from Mountain Equipment from the U.K. (not MEC from Canada). I just threw it out there because it doesn't seem to get much love while it's an amazing piece with very nice mapped thickness of thin and then thinner grid fleece, and good functionality in it's design (like the off centre zip).

Prolite Gear (prolitegear.com) sells Mountain Equipment (and other non-U.S. gear like Rab and Westcomb for example). They have great advice if you need it and often have amazing deals (I bought a Westcomb Switch NeoShell jacket there for 50% off).

But that as an aside.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

The t2/t3 patter difference is similar to the pic ito posted above

The t2 is better for high output due to the big gaps in the waffles

The vega is thicker yet and equivalent to a 100 wt fleece

;)

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I think the pic of the Cap 4 is a bit misleading as that is the old Cap 4 and not the new which is much thinner and more whispy. I checked out the new Cap 4 and it is much more like the thickness of the old Cap2 and 3 and much more a baselayer than an insulative one.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Not sure if has been mentioned already but the R1 hoody has an extra couple of inches length over the R1 pullover amd Cap 4 hoody so it can be tucked in to ones trousers.

Brock Graves
    BPL Member

@gravesbrock

Locale: asheville nc

If you plan to wear the shirt as a casual around town dont get the hood, it lays funny and is kind of awkward. If you are going to be using it in the field I say get the hood.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

That is the current Capilene 4 fabric. It's light, thats why it works. It is not for e-hiking or hanging at Starbucks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools