Topic

HOW TO MAKE INNER BOOTIES?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear HOW TO MAKE INNER BOOTIES?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

how can i make simple inner booties?in simple i mean for wearing just inside the sleeping bag…i am thinking a thick fleece type of wrap that wraps around the foot and i fasten at the ankle area with a rubber band or velcro…is this feasible or stupid?thanks

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Why not fleece socks instead?

Simpler and less restrictive to bloodflow (read: warmer) than a wrap. You do not want these to be snug if added warmth is what you're after.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

At the risk of repeating myself endlessly : ) fleece doesn't provide much warmth for the weight

I have synthetic booties for just inside sleeping bag. My current ones were sleeves I removed from a jacket I made. 2.5 oz Apex.

You don't have to do much more than make sheet of fabric, insulation, fabric, fold in half and sew one row of stitches, sew row of stitches to enclose end, kind of angle it to make foot shape. They cover calf, just stay on without elastic.

Or, you can hide raw edge. Make a French seam. Cut off raw edge close to seam, turn inside out, and do another row of stitches enclosing raw edge. http://thru-hiker.com/projects/french_seams.php

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yes, but perhaps puffy socks would be overkill for the OP. Also you cant stick puffy socks into your shoes for walking around camp.
    The puffy socks you described sounds really easy to make though, I might have a go at some.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

he did say for wearing inside sleeping bag : )

if you make it for walking around, then it's more difficult, whatever covers the sole for walking around isn't so good for sleeping in. If I have to get up, I just take them off and put on my boots. If I'm lazy, I won't lace them. That wouldn't be so good if your boots were wet.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

The following was posted here back on 10/29/2005. The general idea could work for your "Inner Booties" just made out of a different material.

Quote:

I have been working on a pattern for a Foot VBL made out of Cuben Fiber. I first made several muslin patterns to get the right size for my foot. Tonight I finished my first pair out of Cuben Fiber. I expect to try a couple more pattern ideas but this pair will give me something to wear and see what happens.

The pair weighs 0.22oz and are 10" tall. I wear a size 11 shoe.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

thanks for the replies…yes,i want inner booties for the bag only i can always make or buy outer booties…i need these for winter and summer as my feet are sensitive to cold…a few weeks ago on my first snowcamp my feet would not warm up like the rest of me.I thankfully had a large pair of or mitts that slipped on my feet and that worked but my heels were exposed so my feet werent completely warm.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Sometimes my feet get cold, especially when I don't have enough insulation in total, in which case blood flow to feet is restricted to keep the rest of me warm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools